Thanks for the welcome

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by jopatmike, Mar 25, 2015.

1. jopatmike

jopatmike New Egg

Mar 25, 2015
    We got our first chickens 11 months ago and they are the sweetest girls. They are four honey-reds from Tractor Supply and made it through the winter without any difficulties, I did find out they don't like snow! About two weeks ago we got 4 more chicks - 2 Americaunas, 1 - Wyandotte and 1 - Jersey Giant. We need to expand our coop and I was wondering if we will have difficulty introducing to new chicks to the older hens, I would appreciate any tips.
    My husband and I are retired and live in Kent County, Delaware. We also have six dogs - 5 Beagles and a Bassett. The Bassett thinks he's a chicken.

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! I would wait untill your chicks are fully grown before introducing them to your exsisting hens. Introducing new birds can become quite rough with pecking order scuffles and smaller chicks could so easily become injured. I like the look but don't touch method which has worked well for me. Have the birds next to each other for a few weeks but seperated by wire so they can become aquainted but not harm each other. After the few weeks you can introduce them but be there to supervise incase you have to jump in if things get too rough or bloody. Adding extra feed and water stations also helps so the established birds can't bully or starve the younger ones out of eating and drinking. Here is a lovely article on adding new birds https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2593-adding-to-your-flock

Wishing you the very best of luck and enjoy BYC :frow

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Hello, and welcome to BYC![​IMG] I'm glad you joined our community.

Yorkshire Coop has given you some good advice! I hope the integration goes well. Good luck with your chicks.[​IMG]

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I hope our greeter Sourland finds your post. He breeds, and hunts his Beagles. Welcome to the BYC flock

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC!

Definitely check out the link that Yorkshire Coop has provided on integrating new birds into a flock. Take your time with mixing them in. The see but can't touch method from behind a cage or enclosure for 3 or so weeks has always worked best for me. Make sure to add more feeding and watering stations after mixing in new birds. The existing flock can starve out the new birds, standing guard of these areas. It can take months for new birds to completely mix into a flock.

Good luck with your birds and welcome to our roost!

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined! :)

7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided join to our flock. Be sure and keep a careful eye on the dogs as dogs and chickens typically don't mix well. We get lots of letters from new members who are shocked because their seemingly benign dog (even small ones like chihuahuas) suddenly and unexpectedly chased and killed their chickens. And once a dog has killed a chicken, it's next to impossible to break him from doing it again. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

8. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

I agree with the advice already given. Best of luck!

9. Hsever

Hsever New Egg

Mar 24, 2015
    Albany, Oregon
    Welcome! You'll love the resources available here!

10. jopatmike

jopatmike New Egg

Mar 25, 2015
    Thanks for all the tips. We keep the beagles away from the hens and chicks. The Bassett thinks he's part of the flock. He's even great with the new chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by