1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Thanks to the BYC forum, I tamed a mean rooster in two days. Here's what I did.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Duck77, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Duck77

Duck77 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2013
    Taking ideas from several threads, I came up with a plan. Now, I have never owned chickens before this past summer, and this was my first rooster. But I still thought I could tame this thing. This 6mo old Ameracauna was mean and bouncing around the cage, but too pretty to pass up. I live out of the city and don't have any close neighbors so why not right? So, for the first two days, the only food he was offered was from my hand. I think it helped to give him familiar foods, and then some new ones he has never been offered. So we started out in a dog cage with hand fed crumbles, then pieces of apples, bananas and guava. I also gave him his water bowl, but then would take it away while I was not with him. When he pecked me during times I was reaching for him (no food in hand) instead of reacting like another rooster and "pecking" him back or "giving him the boot" as I saw repeated, I just grabbed him and flipped him on his back (quickly, but not violently). I would hold him down until he realized he wasn't going anywhere and stopped fighting. I'm not sure if it makes a difference to parade him in front of the hens to take him down a notch, but it couldn't hurt so I did that a couple times too after extended pecking/flipping sessions. At first he wanted to mate violently too, but my girls ended that behavior quick without any assistance from me ;) When he let me reach him without pecking, I picked him up and petted him, while resting my chin over his neck. (I guess that last part makes them feel safe?)

I purchased him on the 7th. It is now the 10th and all day he was perfectly behaved. He free ranged and stayed with the hens all day, took food gently from my hand, shared food with the hens, let me pick him up multiple times without any pecks and sits in my lap. Also, "Sterling" respects the ladies during mating now.

Maybe "the boot" works for some, but I was pretty sure that fighting him would make it seem like I might be someone to repeatedly challenge. Every loss would only make him angrier I figure. Instead I just made it where he can't fight me and doesn't feel the need to. It does take more time to tame them but it's worth it to have a rooster I don't have to chase or fight.[​IMG]

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Thanks for posting.
    I always say that roosters attack predators and other roosters. Predators move fast and other roosters don't bring treats. I move slowly, rarely straight toward them and bring treats.
    It's been years since I've been attacked. He was delicious though.
    It may help that the breed I raise now are very human aloof though. But after well over 50 of these roosters, you would think one would challenge me.

1 person likes this.
  3. Duck77

Duck77 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2013
    Update: I've had "Sterling" for about two weeks now. There have been no more pecks at me or fights with the other hens since his initiation. He is blending in with the flock and getting friendlier every day. I'm definitely sold on the "flip the bird" method ;) THANKS!

4. retlaw

retlaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2013
    Love wins again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by