Thanksgiving Turkey 2013

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by gmendoza, Nov 18, 2013.

1. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    Well the time is coming for Bo Bo's end of life here on earth. My wifes turkey hen/present a few years ago. Shes a good 40# and I hope she will be a good 30# after harvested. She will be well eaten like she was well taken care of.

Anyone else got a turkey for thanksgiving that you raised?

2. Fat Man

Fat Man Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2010
    We'll be out of town so our little bourbon girl will be christmas dinner.

3. alphawolf

alphawolf New Egg

Sep 15, 2012
    I have 3 midget whites in the freezer now. Two are going to be for Thanksgiving.

4. Celie

Celie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2012
    Tickfaw, Louisiana
    I have 11, 40+# Holland toms that will be going to freezer camp or on the Holliday tables, mine or customers, by the end of the year. We raise all of our own meat, except beef, and eat turkey throughout the year, not just on the holidays. About a dozen younger extra toms will be wintered over, for next year, a dozen or so hens, will start laying mid December and 3 selected year old toms will be kept for breeding.

5. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    We haven't eaten any store bought poultry in at least 10 years now, This years guest to Thanksgiving will be our last Bourbon Red tom

6. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

:thumbsup

7. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

You got a big one! :)

8. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Believe it or not, I have never been a lover of whole turkey from the store, so I never ate it. However, I love ground turkey and turkey patties. I always eat that. I have enjoyed one of my own and it was delicious. So, now I am back on track to eating whole turkey from my own yard. I thought that I would be able to process a few for the freezer but too many people have contacted me wanting to buy my toms to process, so I will sell the extras and keep 1 for myself to process The extra money on the sale will go towards feed.

I did buy 4 store bought turkeys to give to a few needy families in my area. They were on sale for $0.50 a pound.

9. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    Id thought you would be on here Kuntrygirl, you and those bully toms of yours. [​IMG]

Yeah, you know Bobo. She was bought three years ago when we bought our chicks at the same time from Ideal Poultry. We had to have the same batch of packing peanut reds.

10. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

hee hee hee :lau

Do you have a pic of BoBo? I would love to see her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by