That one chicken

gheil

In the Brooder
Apr 4, 2021
I have one chicken that was a runt for awhile, now she is the same size as the rest. The problem is she is not laying eggs yet, the others have been laying for a couple of months. Also the other chickens seem to chase her from their little group. Do you think she will ever lay and become one of the group? I feel sorry for her but don't know what to do.

Attachments

• 36-365716_moana-hei-hei-png-clipart.jpg
    36-365716_moana-hei-hei-png-clipart.jpg
    347.3 KB · Views: 6
A'runt' may have internal issues and may never lay or be much slower to catch up to her sisters.
There will always be a 'low bird' in a flock, as long as she's able to eat and drink(multiple feed/water stations) and is not getting bloodied and/or pinned down an beaten unmercilessly, let them work it out.

..and yes, spaces to be safe are important.
How large are your coop and run?
...and how many birds total.

I have one chicken that was a runt for awhile, now she is the same size as the rest. The problem is she is not laying eggs yet, the others have been laying for a couple of months. Also the other chickens seem to chase her from their little group. Do you think she will ever lay and become one of the group? I feel sorry for her but don't know what to do.
My coop is 4x5 they are in our orchard which is 32 x 60.

A'runt' may have internal issues and may never lay or be much slower to catch up to her sisters.
There will always be a 'low bird' in a flock, as long as she's able to eat and drink(multiple feed/water stations) and is not getting bloodied and/or pinned down an beaten unmercilessly, let them work it out.

..and yes, spaces to be safe are important.

...and how many birds total.
She drinks and eats with them, it is the other 4 hangout together and she is off by herself. Her waddle and comb is starting to grow more each day. They have plenty of space. They all huddle up for warmth when they need to.

Make sure she has a place to run/hide from the rest to prevent them from injuring her. They may know she's "different" .... How old are they? Are you sure "she's" a pullet?
They are 7 months old I don't know if she is a pullet or not. I'm pretty new to this chicken business.

She drinks and eats with them, it is the other 4 hangout together and she is off by herself. Her waddle and comb is starting to grow more each day. They have plenty of space. They all huddle up for warmth when they need to.
Sounds fine to me.

They are 7 months old I don't know if she is a pullet or not. I'm pretty new to this chicken business.
FYI-PSA.....semantics, maybe, but can be important communication terms when discussing chicken behavior.
Female chickens are called pullets until one year of age, then they are called hens.
Male chickens are called cockerels until one year of age, then they are called cocks(or cockbirds or roosters).
Age in weeks or months is always a good thing to note.

Sounds fine to me.

FYI-PSA.....semantics, maybe, but can be important communication terms when discussing chicken behavior.
Female chickens are called pullets until one year of age, then they are called hens.
Male chickens are called cockerels until one year of age, then they are called cocks(or cockbirds or roosters).
Age in weeks or months is always a good thing to note.
Thanks for explaining it to me.

Back
Top Bottom