That would be the Best Rooster to Keep

Status
Not open for further replies.

MayberrySaint

Chillin' Out
12 Years
Mar 7, 2007
Mount Airy, NC
I am receiving my first group of chicks from MM next week and have a question for my fellow poultry lovers.
With sexing errors, I 'm sure that I may receive one to several roosters. If I want to keep one to possibly use to raise chicks in the future, what breed would you keep from the following:
Light Brahma, Australorp, S-L Wyandotte, Buff Orpington?

The hens will be the same sexes as above, so I will end up with 25% purebreeds regardless of what rooster I keep, but the crossbreeds should be sired by what rooster?

Andy

Depends somewhat on the personality and quality of the rooster himself. Of those breeds, I'd say Buff Orpington. Usually, they are good tempered. The Brahmas are also sweeties usually, but can be a bit large for the other hens, in my opinion. I could be off on that point, but Brahma roos are humongous!

Speckled makes a good point on the Brahma, I would look on feathersite.com and pick either the Buff Orph or the Wyandotte, whichever one I thought looked the best.

Oh by the way I have purchased 30 pullets before and recieved 0 roos, so you may not get any.

If your intent is to get some purebred chicks choose the nicest looking rooster but if you just want one as a pet I would choose the lightest one so your hens don't get abused too much. The light brahma and australorp will be very large and the S-L wyandotte, orpington will be a little smaller.

Totally keep the Silver Laced Wyandotte!!! Yea!!! I don't have any personally but have read the whole Official Wyandotte thread and people Have wyandotte roos that snuggle!

Guys, this thread is over 3 years old.
wink.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom