That's IT! Someone my be example stew if these girls don't lay!

Dr.Doorlock

Songster
11 Years
Oct 21, 2008
Garland, Texas
Had seven hens doing 3 to 5 eggs. Wanted to improve production by adding 2 hens. EVERY HEN QUIT LAYING!

It's been 1 week with no eggs and 1 week of one-a-day. One-a-day happened when I added two fake eggs to the nest boxes.

That fake egg provided a little fun when I stormed into the living room and tossed it to my wife. Of course, she didn't catch it and it bounced like a rock on the floor. I asked,"Do you think they're getting too much oyster shell?"

Told a guy at work about the "strike" and he asked if the two hens I added were Union Hens. <(o:}

I told him they sounded like Democrats because they cherped,"Baaack Barack!"

I accidentaly told that one to a good American Republican and he suggested I wring some necks.

All joking aside, does anyone know how to get these girls back on the job?

Put cayenne pepper powder in their food! It works for my girls.
lol.png

I don't know why it seems to work, but it does! My mom saw something about it on here so we started giving it to them (sprinkled on and mixed into their food). My bantam hadn't laid in months, and she laid the next day after we started LOL!
lol.png

Maybe the weather??

We started an early spring here and the girls were laying very nicely: 17 eggs a day from 23 layers!

Then it went freezing cold again, we had snow, it's been gray and raining non-stop... 8 eggs a day
sad.png

Le sigh. Guess I'm not the only one depressed by the weather...
roll.png

(I want to try the cayenne pepper!)

The pepper works because it heats their bodies and convinces them it is the right season to lay. They may just not be laying well because it is too cold, too early, or because of the new arrival. I get 12 eggs a day from 19 hens, and I'm not complaining - It is indeed still really rainy, and my hens also seem to find hidden places to lay eggs.

No idea how pepper works because the "hot" is capsaicin, a molecule which birds don't have receptors to sense.

They probably went on strike because flock balance was thrown off and they are stressed till it settles. It may be anywhere from a week to a month or so to get going on a good cycle. Worst case scenario is your new birds are egg eaters.

Back
Top Bottom