The 18th day!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickedydoodaa, Feb 23, 2009.

1. chickedydoodaa

chickedydoodaa Taking a break

Feb 8, 2009
    Philadelphia PA
    I want to share my enthusiasm, excitement and anticipation with all of you.

I just removed the 28 eggs from the auto turner and placed them on the mesh in the bottom of the Hova-bator 1602N. Incubation started 2/5 at 11.15 am.

10 Black dutch bantam
    10 BB red OEG bantam
    8 Serama

I have never hatched eggs before

With the exception of the first few days after placing the eggs in the incubator I have not allowed myself to let my excitement and imagination run away with me. Now I have finally reached day 18 (and after noticing all the eggs look good inside) I am allowing myself to feel what many of you are feeling.

I have not experienced anything too stressful so far, I believe the first few days were the worst wondering if the eggs were fertile or not.

I have paid close attention to the temperature and humidity and there has been some fluctuations, perhaps the most important and larger portion of the time has been between 99.5 and 101.5, overnight it has had the habit of falling to 98.9 which has not worried me too much. The humidity has stayed between 55-60% (this was recommended by the egg source).

I am raising the humidity to 70% today (also recommended by the egg source)

In the meantime my 1588 Genesis should be delivered in the next couple of days (as I have heard so many fantastic things about this model)

A package just arrived today (was not supposed to come until Wednesday?) and it contains more eggs for incubation. I will have to safely store these for a day or two.

I will post an image for you to see of the 28 eggs in the incubator.

[​IMG]

I will also take pleasure in photographing the progress of any hatching that takes place over the next few days and gladly share them with all of you on this wonderful place called 'Backyard chickens'

Thank you for reading
    Philip

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  2. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    Sending lots of postive hatching vibes your way & praying that ya have a successful hatch! [​IMG] I just set 28 of our own eggs on Saturday & it's my first time incubating too! Can't wait for [​IMG] either! Hope you'll be able to post some pics of your chicks when they hatch. ~TaLani

3. chickedydoodaa

Feb 8, 2009
    Philadelphia PA
    Finally got my humidity up to 70% after 24 hrs!

Going into day 19 now, two have pipped and there is some chirps going on, it is looking good so far.[​IMG]

4. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Good Luck! I would like to see pictures of the bbr old english. I have some in the bator due to hatch the 7th.

[​IMG]

5. chickedydoodaa

Feb 8, 2009
    Philadelphia PA
    I will put some up when I get more action

6. CindyS

CindyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    Wishing you a great hatch! all your stats sound good! (except for the 89.9 reading, I am sure you mean 98.9) good luck with your new genesis!

7. chickedydoodaa

Feb 8, 2009
    Philadelphia PA
    that's right 98.9

I sucked at maths in school, good at other subjects, but when it came to maths my brain would just empty and hummmmmmmmm. I still use my fingers to count and add things.

8. chickedydoodaa

Feb 8, 2009
    Philadelphia PA
    day 19 and a half 6 now pipped, still lot's of singing, some rocking and rolling. Humidity stable at 70% and temp at 100. Took one plug out to steady the humidity.

Maybe I will wake up to a chick or two?[​IMG]:bow

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by