The 5th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Status
Not open for further replies.
ONE OF MARSHIES EGGS HAVE PIPPED!!!
wee.gif
celebrate.gif

I went down to the coop this morning before church to check on her and she was outside.....I became nervous that she left the eggs. I came down around noon to find no broody signs, but dust bathing away. I took her and plopped her on the coop and she instantly turned her mama madness on
gig.gif
. I thought it was odd how she was sitting on the eggs....she seemed to be standing lightly over them....I knew she was either doing so because of how hot it is outside and she didn't feel she needed to incubate them as much, or she KNEW something was on its way!

I had taken Cadbury and Woodstock back to the house to free range a bit and when I took them back to the coop I checked on marshie once again. I whistled a bit, but didn't hear anything. my sister began walking back to the house; not being amused by my egg obsession. once marshie got off the nest there was TONS of cheeping, and I screamed.....A PIP! ALYSSA THERES A PIP!!!!

so, the egg that I found had the internal pip yesterday (day 18) had finally pipped today (day 19). im guessing the extreme heat we have had boosted the growth a bit, but I still have to be very cautious in case the baby pips a vein.

I blocked the coop off from the other chickens, and put a baby waterer in there for marshie. I DONT want any birds bothering her eggs.....unlike my last pitiful broody hatch. SO tonight im moving her to the broody quarantine coop located INSIDE the run of my coop.

WISH US LUCK!

fl.gif
Good Luck, and Marshie is beautiful!

Ok, Incubation Question:
I have the Farm Inovators Pro Series Incubator 4200, ciculated air, egg turner, blah blah...
Ive hatched literally dozens & dozens of egg in this bator I really like it and for the most part ive perfected how I like incubating. I usually hatch my own eggs, from my flocks. I bought an 18 pack that was mailed from only about 4hrs from me... the air cells were a bit detached but all but 4 developed up untill the last week, then died in the egg. I then bought another 10eggs and had them shipped from Connecticut to California. I let them rest longer than the 1st shipped batch before putting them in. All but 1 developed & showed great movent when candled at day 7 & day 14... yesterday was day 21 and only 2 have hatched so I candled and I believe the rest are dead in the egg :-(
I have 95% to 98% hatch rate on all my other eggs (not shipped). Does anyone have any input on what may be happening here? The first batch were Brahmas and this last batch were D'uccles, if that matters...? I really dont think its the moisture content in the egg, like there drowning at first pipe (its never been an issue in my others) Any and all input is welcome... I'm really upset this last batch did not make it!
Thanks all
smile.png
We have the same incubator and we have had similar issues. The largest hatch numbers were eggs we picked up locally and we got 8 out of 12. All other times we either hatch one or two and others we got nothing. We are now using as Genesis Hovabator with 1588 for hatching and out of the two hatches thus far we got 4 chicks total out over 48. Tons of chirps and development but minimal hatching. Something about lockdown is not working. We have a third incubator - LG still air with auto turner and that hatch was 11 out of 18.

That's all you can do. I didn't follow along well. NYD HAL and deep snow outside is much easier to follow.

That is the truth! I have skipped more pages than I've read this HAL, just no time.
Two ducks and a goose? You can play duck-duck-goose! Lol

lau.gif
Good one :)
We have the same incubator and we have had similar issues. The largest hatch numbers were eggs we picked up locally and we got 8 out of 12. All other times we either hatch one or two and others we got nothing. We are now using as Genesis Hovabator with 1588 for hatching and out of the two hatches thus far we got 4 chicks total out over 48. Tons of chirps and development but minimal hatching. Something about lockdown is not working. We have a third incubator - LG still air with auto turner and that hatch was 11 out of 18.
I have had this happen on numerous occasions as well, keep thinking one day I will unlock the secret.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom