The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by Happy Chooks, Jan 20, 2016.

1. FridayYet

FridayYet Innocent Bystander

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    Candling day tomorrow on my pre-HAL hatch. Hoping for a few blobs and veins!

1 person likes this.
  2. Auroradream26

Auroradream26 Smothered in Feathers Premium Member

May 14, 2013
    Central, PA
    Having a frustrating evening tonight :/ I candled all my eggs today in the big cabinet bator and left for about 4 hours for a party. Came home and it was at 75°! The one time I don't watch it go back up to temp (is always so reliable). There were over 80 turkey eggs in it! I had just set some before we left so those went back in the cartons but I managed to somehow fit the others into my hovabator. 80 turkey eggs really struggle to cram in there :/

Here, it looks like my auto water system failed and somehow overflowed. There was water everywhere and I think it got the heating element wet or something, causing it to either short or just not heat at all. I hope I don't lose too many of these poults. 20 some are due to hatch next week. I cleaned out all the water and started it back up. It's very SLOWLY regaining heat now and is almost up to 100 again but now I have to recalibrate the wafers and try to do a new water reservoir. My hovabator is only up to 90 with all those eggs in it. I think since they're all cold, it's having a hard time getting up to temp. Please wish me luck with all this. I'm going to be so upset if I lose all these eggs :/

3. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    I just butchered 4 two weeks ago. All I can tell you is thru dressed out a littke easier than a fully feathered chicken. I've butchered them before but never really noticed until this time because they were the only ones this time around. Folks talk about the difference in the taste of them and other chickens, I don't know bit I've never really noticed a difference in the taste, they all taste like..............................................................................................................ummmm.....................................................................chicken.
    I want to say a big welcome to all the new hatchers coming aboard for this hatch-a-long. I have to hand it to the moderators and hosts of this thread on how they are there to welcome each and everyone that says " I'm in" or " count me in". I try but I can't always keep up. I've finally got back to working full time starting this week. Not the best pay but at least work. Seems like I'll be working riggtbjnvtge midfjebof the and getting off after dark, I'm not on as much as I was.

4. NotAFarm

NotAFarm Embracing the New! Premium Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Illinois
    [​IMG] That the cooling-off doesn't affect them too much.

5. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. draye

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    :frow

7. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop

1 person likes this.
  8. GitaBooks

GitaBooks Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jun 23, 2015
    USA
    We're wishing you the best! [​IMG]

I really hope they all hatch well!

I've had eggs cool for quite a while and still hatch, they just did so a few days late (the babies kind of went into "hibernation" until they got warm again). Don't give up on them too quickly.

Best of luck!

I hope your new job works out well. [​IMG]

9. campingshaws

campingshaws True BYC Addict Premium Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Southwest Louisiana
    Isn't she just the best? She gave me a pic of honas when I mentioned maybe setting them. :love

2 people like this.
  10. draye

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas

Thanks, I'm shooting now for a promotion. Just out in an application for it tonight before I came home.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by