The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL OF THE LOCK DOWNS, PIPS, INTERNAL PIPS, AND NEW BABIES. It's been fun seeing new ones already!
anigif_enhanced-buzz-29592-1334150905-47.gif

So if I set on Sunday afternoon, what day do I lockdown and change humidity. What humidity and temp do you recommend? Ive had some trouble maintaining high enough humidity throughout hatch so any recommendations on keeping it up during lockdown? what if i need to open to add water?? Sorry its been years since we have done this and i can't remember!

Its forced air.

forced air = 99.5F - be sure to measure temperature at the top of egg level, not above or below. do not use the built-in thermometer on a styrofoam incubator as they are notoriously inaccurate

I use a method of incubation called the Dry method when using a styrofoam incubator. I do not add water until lockdown, I aim for about 35% humidity throughout the hatch. I open all the vent plugs to allow the ambient room humidity to affect the incubator because where I live in Oregon my house is 50% humidity. depending if your area is humid or dry this may or may not work for you. I live in a humid climate.

For lockdown on day 19 I increase the humidity to 60% (temp stays 99.5) by adding water to the water dish in the bottom. you can also use a sponge. humidity increases with surface area of the water/sponge.

once an egg pips you do not want to open the incubator! very important.

if you set this last Sunday 3/20, then:
day 1 = 3/21
day 7 = 3/27
day 14 = 4/3
day 19 = 4/8 (increase humidity)
day 21 = 4/10 (hatch day)

Last edited:
lockdown update!

7 have made it to lockdown!! The funky air cells seem to have rightened themselves and it's a good job too! I never thought to check but the eggs will not fit in while in eggs cartons
barnie.gif
I've never done cartons in my nasty incubator and just never thought
smack.gif

All looking good so
fl.gif
we have some new peeps soon
yippiechickie.gif

Do you have some boxed chocolates in the house? Something like Ferrero Roche? The insert that holds the chocolates is exactly the right size for large eggs. I had some eggs holding in our chocolate insert when I ran out of cartons.

(Yes, weird I know. Some boxed chocolate inserts are great for mixing small amounts of nail polish to do specific nail art techniques...lol.)

Ok, Thursday is what I thought too. I have 8 eggs, I'm pretty sure only 3 have chicks so would you toss he others. I just feel unsure. And one of my eggs with a moving chick still has a mobile air cell, should i take them out of the carton i have them in and lay them on their sides or leave in carton to keep air cell in right place? i have a sponge in their and a dish of water. the sponge helps a lot. I have a couple holes for ventilation I could probably use to add water to sponge. I'll see what i can rig up. What should the temp be the last few days? What day do you "usually" see pips?

Any eggs that I'm not positive are bad, I mark with an x and put in anyway. Just so I'm not watching and waiting on them forever. You can leave them in the caps to hatch if you choose. I usually lay mine on their sides in the bottom unless they're shipped eggs with bad air cells. Then they're left upright in cartons. I usually start seeing pips on day 20-21. Occasionally there's an overachiever who hatches a day or so early.

lockdown update!

7 have made it to lockdown!! The funky air cells seem to have rightened themselves and it's a good job too! I never thought to check but the eggs will not fit in while in eggs cartons
barnie.gif
I've never done cartons in my nasty incubator and just never thought
smack.gif

All looking good so
fl.gif
we have some new peeps soon
yippiechickie.gif

how exciting!!!
pop.gif

Back
Top Bottom