The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

I wasn't fond of them until I came back from spring break and found my NN pullet had adopted my white leghorn chick, even though she was old enough to be out in the coop without heat. So sweet! Anyhow the chicks are just adorable. Plus, I live in AZ and they'll be more comfortable with the summer heat

Good to know about the heat tolerance- we have many weeks of 100+ degree heat here in Merced, so it's a real plus that the NN will handle it well. My husband had a pet NN roo as a teenager and says it was the most docile chicken he ever had. The lady (Nanci) who I got the barnyard mix of eggs from also favors NNs. I'll keep an open mind, but as a nurse and a grandma, I still will struggle not to knit it a little scarf or turtle neck! (=

Final tally, 20 living out of 42 set. 30 made it to lockdown, 4 early death and 8 not fertile. So disappointed, 4 died after pip/zip but before hatch. 1 died after hatch.
1f614.png
Still, excited for 20 new babies, most Welsummer that I got from a neighboring farm, about 6 mixes from my own stock.

Little black chick finally out. End of day 24.

Total HAL count

1 hatched.
I feel for ya!
hugs.gif

My total for the HAL:

Out of 38 making it to lock down, I had 1 hatch. At least it was a girl!!! So sad for my first hatch, but I learned a lot and hope next time will be better.

Since I only had the one hatch, that meant I had to go out and find some more chicks so she wouldn't be alone.

Here is Merida. My brave little soul.

Back
Top Bottom