The adults killed one of my keets!

siamese

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 24, 2013
We had moved the keets into the Chicken house in a dog Kennel wrapped in chicken wire so the babies couldn't get out. However one did after a few days, and the adults killed it. Now there are 2 adults who have taken a get deal of interest, they stand and will peep at the babies. The rest not so much. They are just 4 weeks old. After this I don't know what to do, does anyone have any ideas???
How long do I need to wait? The little one they killed didn't have any torn skin, just bruising on his back. You could see the blood under the skin and he was cold so I put him under heat lamp but he still died.
Any advice on how to add them to the flock, they are keets from these adults however we had to separate them from the parents. We couldn't get the adults to come into their house and the coyotes were killing them left and right. Four were found in the house a week later, so we locked those birds up and a few days later another showed up. I believe the last bird to come home is the mom to these babies we picked up off the road.

We had moved the keets into the Chicken house in a dog Kennel wrapped in chicken wire so the babies couldn't get out. However one did after a few days, and the adults killed it. Now there are 2 adults who have taken a get deal of interest, they stand and will peep at the babies. The rest not so much. They are just 4 weeks old. After this I don't know what to do, does anyone have any ideas???
How long do I need to wait? The little one they killed didn't have any torn skin, just bruising on his back. You could see the blood under the skin and he was cold so I put him under heat lamp but he still died.
Any advice on how to add them to the flock, they are keets from these adults however we had to separate them from the parents. We couldn't get the adults to come into their house and the coyotes were killing them left and right. Four were found in the house a week later, so we locked those birds up and a few days later another showed up. I believe the last bird to come home is the mom to these babies we picked up off the road.
If you can put the keets in an area that is secure but big enough that you can be in with them, you can try letting one of the hens that has taken an interest in them in with them. You want to be ready to intervene immediately if the adult makes any threatening moves. If the adult hen is truly interested in claiming them she will do so without any harm to the keets. If she accepts them, allow them to be together for a few days before letting her and the keets loose with the other adults.

Back
Top Bottom