The adventures of a 99.8% RECYCLED, RECLAIMED COOP *update 9/19*

hollymh

*A Scrambled Egg*
15 Years
Feb 8, 2009
Texas
I have moved all over the place for the last 10 yrs, and while I kept chickens here and there I never actually was able to build the coop I wanted... Well now that we have a house and have settled I want my coop! It was however important to me to recycle as much as possible little did I know the opportunity would arise sooner than expected and off to coop building I go. I planned to build in fall so that it's cooler haha well that didn't happen and I started about a little over a week ago. Blood, sweat, no tears, just some serious determination later I have a sort-of coop---? I received a 3-part coop from craigslist that I scrapped and sanitized then started from the ground up, I got a lot of materials as well as 6 bags of feed for free. So Im a week in and so far this is what I have, some craigslist and asking around I have all the materials I need minus the screws and some exterior paint which I bought. I hope that it turns out well, so far so good.... I will update as I go but below are some pics of what Im starting with...

Total cost as of now is $25

The bottom photo is my nesting area, and off the back of that I will add an additional living/roosting area, everything is just strewn about right now and will "eventually" come together.

Last edited:
awesome, thank you for that bit, I had read that somewhere but forgot all about it! They will have to go under the nest boxes to enter the 2nd edition of the coop where I will have the roost, do you foresee that being an issue, shall I reconfigure and make the addition on an opposing side?

Sooooo I worked all day today and got "almost" done, Im thankful too bc it's pouring rain and i just got my roofs secured!!! Yay! A little side note, I'm working on this with my kids and myself---I may be a little overzealous and im starting to get a bit overwhelmed, coop went well but im really struggling with my run :-/ and I want a BIGGER coop so I may be adding to the one I have... I was so excited to have so much done and we got some fluff mail with a ton of packing peanuts and I couldn't wait to get my daughter home to show her and then a lady wreaked into me about 500 yards from my house
th.gif
with both kids in the car at that. I pulled off as did she and as soon as i got out she started blaming me, funny thing is she came into my lane and side swiped me to get out from behind a slow dump truck, her lack of observing traffic apparently was my fault, she told the cop i was speeding, i was going 30 in a 40 bc we just came from a red light...
smack.gif
Cops put her as "at fault" and i drove home.... still bummed but it's just a car, more bummed by her lack of concern for her human counterparts and the little humans in my backseat... Anywhoooo! Heres some updated pics of my progress!

Im open to constructive criticism,! Please play nice, Ive never built anything like this and its all recycled so maybe not the best! It's also on an incline so it looks slightly off in photos

It's raining here in North Texas. I guess you are in the area.

We'll be nicer than the person who side-swiped you. :)

I like the bright red color. How big is it? Is it really 99.8% recycled materials? :)

Why are you worried about the run?

You said you got some chicks. How many did you get, and what breeds are they? Where did you order them?

Last edited:
It's raining here in North Texas. I guess you are in the area.

We'll be nicer than the person who side-swiped you. :)

I like the bright red color. How big is it? Is it really 99.8% recycled materials? :)

Why are you worried about the run?

You said you got some chicks. How many did you get, and what breeds are they? Where did you order them?
haha thanks! OH! And I am in N.Tx, so happy to have some rain, my plants were pretty sad

My coop is more like 98% now since I had to buy some paint and a two 2x4's, I collected all my materials from craigslist and family members, most of the wood was already painted red so I just stuck with it to keep cost down. Current cost is about $40

The coop is 5ft wide, and about 5-1/2ft long, the smaller add-on portion is about 3ftx3ftx4ft.

Chicks came from ideal

I have 19 chicks
th.gif
I only ordered 8... I ordered some brahmas, California whites, and EE's as well as one black giant. I NOW have some EE's, black giant, RIR's, SLW, a maran and a welsummer.
The run I was hoping to make 5ft wide, 12ft long and 6ft tall. I'm really struggling with assembly bc its just me building and getting my supports and beams and this that and the other thing has taken it out of me.

Last edited:
That coop Is small for 19 chickens. You might have to expand your coop or sell or give away some chickens.

You have some time before you will need the run, so don't stress out.

That was a good deal. You ordered 8 chicks and received 19. :) What hatchery was it that you ordered the chicks from?

That coop Is small for 19 chickens. You might have to expand your coop or sell or give away some chickens.

You have some time before you will need the run, so don't stress out.

That was a good deal. You ordered 8 chicks and received 19. :) What hatchery was it that you ordered the chicks from?
I ordered 8 and got 14, I already had 5, sorry wasn't too clear there. I 100% plan on giving some away, I had a stamp on my invoice "males added for warmth" soooo since I wanted pullets only I will probably only have 10 chickens in the end, I will expand the coop anyways but surely don't plan on having more than 12 at any given time. I ordered from Ideal and planned for some losses but wow I'm inundated with chicks right now and haven't lost any!!!! Not complaining :)

I really want some meaties though!!

Last edited:
I ordered 8 and got 14, I already had 5, sorry wasn't too clear there. I 100% plan on giving some away, I had a stamp on my invoice "males added for warmth" soooo since I wanted pullets only I will probably only have 10 chickens in the end, I will expand the coop anyways but surely don't plan on having more than 12 at any given time. I ordered from Ideal and planned for some losses but wow I'm inundated with chicks right now and haven't lost any!!!! Not complaining :)

I really want some meaties though!!

You ordered 8 and got 14. OK. I guess they gave you 6 males. It is still a good deal. I do not think they need to add chicks for warmth now in Texas. :)

I am sure it will work out.

Back
Top Bottom