The Adventures of Barcode the Barred Rock

The winter has been cold and harsh and it is taking its toll on the flock. Barcode and her sister are doing fine, but some of the younger pullets did not survive the coldest weather. It has also taken its toll on the older birds of the flock. Very sadly, Lime, the beta rooster, passed away. The polar vortex was just too much for him now that he was growing older. Honey, the other flock rooster, is just as old as Lime was - a few weeks older, even - and he too has slowed down. Barcode knows the Food Bringer is hoping that the weather breaks soon so that Honey has a chance to recover and see another spring.

In this cold and snowy weather, the chickens, ducks, guineas, and goose have taken to staying mostly in the coop. It is a little warmer in there and they don't have to stand on snow. The Food Bringer keeps the feed and water outside so they all must go out to eat and drink but otherwise they stay in the coop. Barcode especially likes to stand on the roost and look out over the rest of the flock and her guineas.

Also, the detiorating condition of Honey and the death of Lime had worried the Food Bringer that she may lose both of her egg flock roosters and have no roosters to protect the hens. Barcode was worried about this too. Lately the roosters had been nicer to her and she was glad they protected everyone. She didn't want to lose the roosters either. Yesterday, however, something happened. A sexy new rooster appeared!

...or, maybe not so sexy. He was still just a teenager and the older, mature hens ignored his dances and his silly behavior. They have no time for a teenager. He will have to mature more before they will pay attention to him! Actually, Barcode realized, he was not so new either! He was Honey's son, sold after his broody mother was done raising him. The Food Bringer and his new owner had both thought he was a pullet. He turned out to be a very late bloomer, and the new owner, while allowed to have roosters, did not really want one. So, back he came.

So far, he was taking after his father, kind to the hens, not aggressive towards people, and quite a stunner. Still just a teenager though. He would have to do some maturing before Barcode or any of the hens would pay him any attention. And of course he would have to be careful not to get in the way of his father!

Awesome story!  Betting it's based on true events on your farm...eh?  Can't wait to read more!

It is - this is the real story of this hen. All is completely true, with the possible exception of some details from her past that I'm just inferring from the circumstances under which she came to me.

So we're dealing with some crazy snow up here and Barcode won't come out of the coop for anything. I really don't blame her. However, next week the weather is jumping into the forties and staying there - seems spring is coming. Apparently the chickens know it too - I got my first egg in months just a few days ago!

Back
Top Bottom