The Adventures of Featherdust Flock

Must be the biologist in me. I didn't even think twice about the name Fungus. :lol: Actually, there are some really beautiful fungus species out there, like Mycena interrupta and Clavaria zollingeri. And, of course, the chicken-of-the-woods, Laetiporus sulphureus. Maybe she's named after one of those? :D

What about 'Cyathus Striatus', also known as the flutter bird’s nest?

flutter bird nest.jpg

Boy do I love Bieles! :love Your babies are so sweet. Makes me miss my big girl, Violet, who also loved lap sitting, but only when she had her head thoroughly buried in my shirt sleeve under my arm. I love the names you've chosen for them, too, especially Larkspur and Bumblebee. :love I see you finally have your Thistle! (It was you that wanted a brown hen named Thistle, right? Or am I dreaming that? :lol: It's been a long semester...)

WOW!! What a memory you have! Yes indeed... I wanted a hen named Thistle! I named one Thistle 7 years ago and it turned out to be a rooster and required a name change. This Thistle is for sure a girl, thank goodness! I think I mentioned that just once... those seven years ago? I would pay for a memory like that, haha!

Which one is Fungus and why???

I don't have a good full body shot, but this one is Fungus. Read on as for "why"...
fungus peekin.jpg

Must be the biologist in me. I didn't even think twice about the name Fungus. :lol: Actually, there are some really beautiful fungus species out there, like Mycena interrupta and Clavaria zollingeri. And, of course, the chicken-of-the-woods, Laetiporus sulphureus. Maybe she's named after one of those? :D

I have also always wanted a lovely mottled hen named Fungus! I love fungus, and think that they are very pretty, also. As a nickname we can call her "Missy Mycelium"!! Her complex banded feathers reminded me of the Trametes genus, e.g. the turkey tail mushrooms!

@drumstick diva if you google "Trametes versicolor" you might see some inspiration! :)

What about 'Cyathus Striatus', also known as the flutter bird’s nest?

flutter-bird-nest-jpg.1373799

:love :love :love Beautiful!

WOW!! What a memory you have! Yes indeed... I wanted a hen named Thistle! I named one Thistle 7 years ago and it turned out to be a rooster and required a name change. This Thistle is for sure a girl, thank goodness! I think I mentioned that just once... those seven years ago? I would pay for a memory like that, haha!

I don't have a good full body shot, but this one is Fungus. Read on as for "why"...
View attachment 1377366

I have also always wanted a lovely mottled hen named Fungus! I love fungus, and think that they are very pretty, also. As a nickname we can call her "Missy Mycelium"!! Her complex banded feathers reminded me of the Trametes genus, e.g. the turkey tail mushrooms!

@drumstick diva if you google "Trametes versicolor" you might see some inspiration! :)

Haha, too bad that memory is selective! :lol: It did come in handy for passing Organic Chemistry last year, though! :) Yes, I remember you mentioning the original 'Thistle'. He ended up being the 'Goin' Round The Rooster' rooster, as I recall. (Remembering HIS name is beyond the scope of my ability, unfortunately. :lol: )

Fungus is a cutie! I see the resemblance in her namesake!

Yes! They all have names except the little rooster. That one is a struggle, I like silly rooster names but want one that is easy to say because I always end up yelling the rooster's name more than anyone else's, lol!!

The hens are:
Bumblebee, Fungus, Ganymede, Larkspur, Thistle, Bracken, Nutmeg, and Queen Titania.

I guessed from the first week that Queen Titania would be boss hen... so far she's living up to it! We'll see if I am right as they mature!

Their names! Especially Bumblebee, hehehe.

Back
Top Bottom