The age old question: who did it?

So sorry for your loss. If it was inside your pen and your pen is not covered then I would suspect an owl since none of your other birds were hurt or killed. If you have a camera put it up because whatever it was will be back and then you will know for sure what you're dealing with. Good luck...
I appreciate it, while I have seen barred owls in my neighborhood, I just found a fallen section of fence where the puppy easily could have entered in- so I'm fairly certain it was him, but cameras aren't a bad idea for the future.

Sorry about your chicken :(. I'd guess a raccoon. They usually kill at night, but it is possible he was out in the day, especially if he decided a chicken was an easy meal. Dogs normally kill by snapping the neck shaking the bird. Your puppy may be different, but I find it unlikely he got into the yard and out without someone noticing. As far as Greg goes, it doesn't really fit an opossum's MO. If they work up the guts to try and take down a full size chicken, and actually succeed in killing them, the remains tend to be a lot more... messy. As in the bird may be eviscerated, it may have detached body parts strewn around, etc. If it was a hawk, you'd either find a still living hen with a bloodied up back or no hen at all. Hawks take all or nothing. So that narrows us down to a raccoon, which I have had decapitate a chicken and leave the headless body. Raccoons can be real pills like that, killing something and only eating one part of it. I don't know about you, but while I absolutely hate losing a bird and will do everything I can to prevent it, I'm of the opinion that if something is going to kill it, they better well eat it and not waste it.
I appreciate it, I agreed with what you're saying, it makes sense, but the morning after I posted this I found that the corner of my fencing had fallen down, so I'm very certain it was the puppy now. He's killed seven of my chickens since April, and he typically eats only the head. Thanks for the detective work though

I appreciate it, while I have seen barred owls in my neighborhood, I just found a fallen section of fence where the puppy easily could have entered in- so I'm fairly certain it was him, but cameras aren't a bad idea for the future.
Years ago when I put up my first camera something had killed some birds but I could find no breach so I put up a camera and it was an owl. Since I have covered all of my pens with good heavy duty netting. Problem solved. I also put up more cameras and have been surprised at the predators that roam around here especially at night. Again good luck...

Sorry about your chicken :(. I'd guess a raccoon. They usually kill at night, but it is possible he was out in the day, especially if he decided a chicken was an easy meal. Dogs normally kill by snapping the neck shaking the bird. Your puppy may be different, but I find it unlikely he got into the yard and out without someone noticing. As far as Greg goes, it doesn't really fit an opossum's MO. If they work up the guts to try and take down a full size chicken, and actually succeed in killing them, the remains tend to be a lot more... messy. As in the bird may be eviscerated, it may have detached body parts strewn around, etc. If it was a hawk, you'd either find a still living hen with a bloodied up back or no hen at all. Hawks take all or nothing. So that narrows us down to a raccoon, which I have had decapitate a chicken and leave the headless body. Raccoons can be real pills like that, killing something and only eating one part of it. I don't know about you, but while I absolutely hate losing a bird and will do everything I can to prevent it, I'm of the opinion that if something is going to kill it, they better well eat it and not waste it.
The 3 I had lost recently had the same type of damage. Raccoon seen on my neighbor's cam, which is motion activated. REinventing the run and stringing up electric fence. Keeping them closed in every night for now.

I appreciate it, I agreed with what you're saying, it makes sense, but the morning after I posted this I found that the corner of my fencing had fallen down, so I'm very certain it was the puppy now. He's killed seven of my chickens since April, and he typically eats only the head. Thanks for the detective work though
:hit:hit:hit

Back
Top Bottom