1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

The air cells on all my eggs are on the side

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by nagleobr, Nov 13, 2015.

1. nagleobr

nagleobr Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2015
    I have 5 silkie eggs in my incubator right now. I candeled them on Day 5 and they ALL have air cells fixed to the side. Will this give them a smaller hatch rate? Is there anything I can do? [​IMG]

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Have your eggs been shipped to you? This can sometimes cause misplaced air sacs. If not how were the eggs stored prior to incubation? If they were stored with the pointy end up this can cause air sac trouble. Storing them fat end up in egg cartons is best prior to incubation.
    Check out this article ~https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101
    It has a section on misshapen air sacs.

Good luck with your eggs :fl

3. nagleobr

nagleobr Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2015
    They are my own eggs. Two of them got stored on their sides, but the last three were stored with the rounded side up. So I don't know why they all have side air cells. Thank you!

4. kyzerc

kyzerc Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2015
    I have always stored my on side,didnt know better.But it seems I cant do any thing wrong,they still almost all hatch.I just got back into it after 50 years.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by