The Aloha Chicken Project

Yes, but showing some signs of relief.  The afternoons are still very uncomfortable, but it is staying cooler much longer in the mornings and evenings.  The lows are still around 80 degrees - still quite warm!

Taking advantage of the warm nights to raise small batches of peeps.  I only have a few hens laying, so it's impossible for me to hatch 20-30 peeps at one time right now.  But I did manage to hatch 5 chicks a few weeks ago, and 10 chicks this weekend.  Only the BEST adult hens are left, so I'm keeping these babies to grow out.  

All of them should have wonderful color.  The 5 chicks hatched several weeks ago all have bright yellow legs.  They should be wonderful Alohas.  If all goes well, the hens would begin laying in March, which means I could possibly use them in my end-of-season breeding pens.  

Small incubator is FULL right now.  But, not a great hatch rate on eggs yet.  So I'm guessing I'll only get 20-25 chicks.  Next due dates are September 24 and October 2.

I just put on a batch of 30 eggs, 28 NN out of 3 of my EE hens sisters or half sisters. 2 eggs wee from my oldest EE hen by the EE rooster I just lost. Have hope they were fertile but really don't think they were.

May put on one more small hatch this year, not really sure. All depends on how the weather is.

Our weather here is rally mild right now at least the last three days anyway. Mid-60's to mid-70's.

Just keep me informed should you do anymore NN crosses and have eggs to send out. May be interested, a lot though depends in funds available at the time they may be available.

Help! I still have my roosters. ..1 aloha and one that looks like a Rhode Island red. I got a notice from the city that they have to be gone by tomorrow. Looks like they might have to be someone's dinner. :( my girls will freak. Any suggestions?

Help! I still have my roosters. ..1 aloha and one that looks like a Rhode Island red. I got a notice from the city that they have to be gone by tomorrow. Looks like they might have to be someone's dinner. :( my girls will freak. Any suggestions?[/quote

Find a local farmer and ask him to take them off your hands as in free. One other option is the humane society.

Help! I still have my roosters. ..1 aloha and one that looks like a Rhode Island red. I got a notice from the city that they have to be gone by tomorrow. Looks like they might have to be someone's dinner. :( my girls will freak. Any suggestions?[/quote

Find a local farmer and ask him to take them off your hands as in free. One other option is the humane society.

I was wondering if the humane society would take them. .. I'll look into that. Thanks

These 50 are off spring of my white sport cream legbar roo. I'm hoping he will help throw lots of yellow legs. And who knows I may get a blue egg layer! That would be fun!

These 50 are off spring of my white sport cream legbar roo. I'm hoping he will help throw lots of yellow legs. And who knows I may get a blue egg layer! That would be fun!
I think the odds of you getting blue egg layers would be quite high.

Expect all barred chicks. I think the Cream Legbar would still have the Barring gene present, even if hidden "under" white. If that is correct, all chicks would look barred, and none would show spots.

You'll need to out-cross to a non-barred "something" in the next generation. Keep only your non-barred chicks. Might it be time for me to ship you some eggs to hatch? One good roo would give your program a boost. Keep your blue-egg laying hens and cross to a nice spotty boy, see what happens?

Ideal case would be cross Legbars / Alohas to spotty "something" and half of those would be not-barred, and half of those would show spotting. (In other words you'd be trying to keep the 1/4 of chicks that would be spotted, but not barred.)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom