The Aloha Chicken Project

If anyone ever wants to see my ridiculous attempts fumbling around at the start of this project, if nothing else as a way to show what a small start it was, I have my old web site up still.

It has since been replaced by a Blog, and when the breed is more finished (in other words, when I have big handsome roos like the one shown above breeding true) I plan on launching a really professional web site for Alohas. What is interesting is how the line was almost wiped out only a few years ago - the start of 2010. The coop was flooded, and the straw I brought in to raise the floor got moldy, and I lost almost every single Aloha. I re-built the flock from a handful of hens left, as they were literally on their last days. I hatched every single egg they laid and rebuilt the flock from that.

http://alohachickens.webs.com/september2010.htm

This fiasco is why I still desperately need more breeder homes of this line, in case disease or disaster ever strikes the "home flock" it's critical to have a back-up somewhere else. PM me if you are interested in becoming an Aloha breeder this Spring.

I've learned so much along the way on this project, and I'm proof you don't have to know a ton about chicken genetics to do good on a project, it's more about perseverance than anything else. :)

Saw an ad for some seramas that look exactly like alohas.
3Md3J73H15If5E75H5d141c9f4a323e13118b.jpg
3E13M83Jf5E15Jb5M3d142c91e868d0af1b15.jpg
3F23I13N55Id5Fa5R0d147d2b58ff58b5121c.jpg
3E83I33La5Id5E95K2d14a13bf74a9da619f9.jpg

Maybe someone could do "Mini Alohas"

Last edited:
Hey, I found this pic of the PERFECT "Aloha Body Type" NHR roo:

http://chickensgoatsforsale.com/gallery/New-Hampshire-Red.jpg

Some 4-H'ers in Indiana. He's not 100% true to NHR type, but looks perfect for Aloha body type! This is exactly the body type and size I'd like to get on Alohas some day:

New-Hampshire-Red.jpg

Look at the long tail on this guy . . . really long for a New Hampshire Red. Can we just get spots on that, pretty please? Thx.

Okay, so looks like I'll be shipping a box of chicks to Kansas, probably late spring. (Late April? Early May?)

What other thread lurkers are interested in a shipment of live chicks to start their own breeding program? Let me know! Chicks would be $100 box of 25, delivered Express Mail. Going to post an ad soon, so I can figure out how many Live chick shipping boxes I'll need to order for Spring shipments.

Back
Top Bottom