The Aloha Chicken Project

Try tossing in some mottled Javas, an ancona, maybe a couple barred rocks or something. Then, try a Jersey giant every now and then to beef them up a bit. A phoenix may help if you want tail length.
This mix would give you 100% black and white barred chicks, by the way. LOL!

Black - tends to overwhelm all other colors, so you have to breed it out by using red or other colors. Jersey Giants and Mottled Javas and Anconas are all black-based. Javas are great dual purpose breeds however. Strangely, I think the "Auburn" color may work better for Alohas. Except . . . Javas have dark legs.

Barred Rocks have the size, but the color is also black-based and the Barring is 100% dominant. So instead, I brought in their "cousins" the Buff Rock. Same exact breed as Barred Rock, but in Buff color. That's had an issue with disappearing spots, which has been a problem of its own. However, I see there is also a "Partridge Rock" color, which while dark, would not be as bad as Barred Rock, so the Partridge Rock is a possibility for sure to improve size, if crossed just right. :)

Phoenix - yes, has tail length, but we can also get tail length from Leghorns - which come in Mille or Exchequer spotted colors, and are awesome layers to boot! They are small, but the same size as Phoenix.

Woot!
woot.gif
I just got an email from a lady who says she's going to have Buff Sussex hatching eggs in two weeks. I'm going to go for it! I so hope this works out -- too excited!
I still don't think I did this justice . . .

highfive.gif

wee.gif
celebrate.gif
wee.gif
celebrate.gif
wee.gif

D.gif
woot.gif
D.gif

ya.gif
ya.gif
ya.gif

Okay, that's a little better.

Okay, so looks like I'll be shipping a box of chicks to Kansas, probably late spring. (Late April? Early May?)

What other thread lurkers are interested in a shipment of live chicks to start their own breeding program? Let me know! Chicks would be $100 box of 25, delivered Express Mail. Going to post an ad soon, so I can figure out how many Live chick shipping boxes I'll need to order for Spring shipments.
sorry, I can't afford it. I also can't have roosters.

This mix would give you 100% black and white barred chicks, by the way. LOL!

Black - tends to overwhelm all other colors, so you have to breed it out by using red or other colors. Jersey Giants and Mottled Javas and Anconas are all black-based. Javas are great dual purpose breeds however. Strangely, I think the "Auburn" color may work better for Alohas. Except . . . Javas have dark legs.

Barred Rocks have the size, but the color is also black-based and the Barring is 100% dominant. So instead, I brought in their "cousins" the Buff Rock. Same exact breed as Barred Rock, but in Buff color. That's had an issue with disappearing spots, which has been a problem of its own. However, I see there is also a "Partridge Rock" color, which while dark, would not be as bad as Barred Rock, so the Partridge Rock is a possibility for sure to improve size, if crossed just right. :)

Phoenix - yes, has tail length, but we can also get tail length from Leghorns - which come in Mille or Exchequer spotted colors, and are awesome layers to boot! They are small, but the same size as Phoenix.
oh, ok. I'm just looking at the birds. I don't know much about genetics. But what about white giants?

Okay, so looks like I'll be shipping a box of chicks to Kansas, probably late spring.  (Late April?  Early May?)

What other thread lurkers are interested in a shipment of live chicks to start their own breeding program?  Let me know!  Chicks would be $100 box of 25, delivered Express Mail.  Going to post an ad soon, so I can figure out how many Live chick shipping boxes I'll need to order for Spring shipments.

Yipppeeeeee!

Back
Top Bottom