The Aloha Chicken Project

Just talked to the neighbors and found out what happened. I guess yesterday two little boys were running up and down the alley, and they were trying to climb over my neighbor's fence to grab his Bantam roo. Then they were caught sneaking in three doors down from me, through a hole in the back fence, and were trying to corner a rooster. Later they were spotted running down the alley way with a rooster and an orange Home Depot bucket. I suspect that my chicks were in the bucket . . . .
somad.gif

That just sucks.

That's why I'm trying to spread the genes to as many new breeding flocks as possible! Had a person in TN contact me about what they could do, I said, just keep a nice flock of Alohas somewhere else for me! LOL. I'm hoping to send them some chicks in the Spring, but even if they don't end up "breeders" at least that might be one more spot where we can find them if something goes awry.

Fosterson, your flock will soon outpace anything I have here, IF you can keep them alive! But yes, I need to get you some chicks this Spring. Even if you can get just 3 nice Aloha hens that will be enough. I started with only 3 original Alohas, then about 1 1/2 years in, I lost EVERYONE pretty much due to mold issues. (Don't ever put straw in a flooded coop, btw. Who knew?)

As they were "going down" (the mold killed them slowly after initial exposure) I was able to hatch hatch hatch hatch every single egg from the few remaining hens that were left. Rebuilt from there. But ever since, I've been trying to give away Alohas to every chicken person I meet, just in case something happens! Chickens can be so stinking fragile.

My goal is to get these to a commercial hatchery of some kind as soon as they are a little more "set". If I can get a commercial hatchery interested, of course. It just seems that most breeds if left in the hands of "regular folks" have a tough time making it, because it's very hard to raise the sheer numbers needed! I can't do it alone. Right now this sort-of breed as it stands today would be gone if I had to stop raising chickens for whatever reason.

Well, I certainly have designs but I have room if you want to ship me eggs at some point after the beginning of January. I'm going to clear out all my old RIR and Barred hens as soon as the pullets start laying. I've got room in my two solid coops...20 in the big run and 12 in the smaller and I intend to add at least one more permanent structure this spring. :D

I have an incubator and I know how to use it! *mwahahahahahahah*

Usually shipping eggs hasn't been worth the postage money. Tried in the past and it'd be something like three chicks hatched out of two dozen eggs. Or worse. So kind of gave up on that!

Even though I didn't charge for the eggs (just the shipping) the postage on a medium "flat rate" box ran about $15, and if you get wow, three chicks, that's $5 per chick. Not a great deal for the person on the other end. Did the math and realized that if I express ship a box of 35 chicks for $45 that's $1.30 per chick shipping and the person on the other end actually gets some chicks. LOL!

The only thing I haven't tried yet is that egg foam stuff, I wonder if this would help shipped eggs arrive in "bator-worthy" shape?

http://southernfarmhatchery.com/Egg-Shipping-Foam.php

Last edited:
Usually shipping eggs hasn't been worth the postage money. Tried in the past and it'd be something like three chicks hatched out of two dozen eggs. Or worse. So kind of gave up on that!

Even though I didn't charge for the eggs (just the shipping) the postage on a medium "flat rate" box ran about $15, and if you get wow, three chicks, that's $5 per chick. Not a great deal for the person on the other end. Did the math and realized that if I express ship a box of 35 chicks for $45 that's $1.30 per chick shipping and the person on the other end actually gets some chicks. LOL!

The only thing I haven't tried yet is that egg foam stuff, I wonder if this would help shipped eggs arrive in "bator-worthy" shape?

http://southernfarmhatchery.com/Egg-Shipping-Foam.php
I would pay between 3-8 dollars a piece for day old chicks -- so really I don't consider that that bad price wise. There's also the self-sticky bubble wrap that seems to work well for some folks on here. I'm certainly willing to give it a try - or if you CAN ship chicks, I'd be more than happy to give them a shot. :D

Shipping Live chicks is totally possible, we just have to wait for the magical window where it's above 38 and below 85 in both towns. Those are the post office rules. Here in AZ, that is late February through maybe early April. By May, we start to hit the 90's and then they may or may not allow it to go through.

How about up there? What times of year is it above freezing and below 85 there? Late March, perhaps? Early April? That's what I'm thinking for a possible ship date.

Last edited:
Shipping Live chicks is totally possible, we just have to wait for the magical window where it's above 38 and below 85 in both towns. Those are the post office rules. Here in AZ, that is late February through maybe early April. By May, we start to hit the 90's and then they may or may not allow it to go through.

How about up there? What times of year is it above freezing and below 85 there? Late March, perhaps? Early April? That's what I'm thinking for a possible ship date.

Late March/Early April is usually when the temps are consistently above freezing. By the end of May we're in the 90s.

What do you think about this rooster for spotted/Aloha chickens? I bought him as a younster from a swap a year ago after being told he was a splash marans. Later after I learned a little more, I am thinking he is a marans/leghorn x. He has very yellow legs. I have several chicks from him on the white-ish side with slightly feathered legs. These are from EE hens.
From my Speckled sussex purchased eggs last spring I got 4 SS roosters and 1 hen. I kept 2 roosters with the most white. I have 5 NH red hens (after 1st 6 got cocci and all but 1 died), and 3 RIR hens. In the spring I plan on penning them together and haching some of the eggs.
I love reading all the posts from the project and can't wait to try for spotted chickens.

Back
Top Bottom