The Aloha Chicken Project

We are having some rain and a lovely drop in temp as well. So thankful for that. I have been outrageously busy around here... need to get some updated pics of the chicks. Glad you're back and the 3 hens made it so far. We had to move the birds into the shed for some heavy winds that came through because I wasn't sure their shelters would withstand a 60 mph blow. They did fine so that's reassuring. I can't wait to get my summer building put up in place of the shelters. That's my next project.

@alohachickens
Where are all the large floppy combs coming from on these Alohas and NN Alohas?

Nearly a of mine have floppy combs more on the cockerels than on the pullets.

@alohachickens

Finally was able to snap a couple pictures.

This Aloha has a large bendy comb. There was another with a fairly large comb but it doesn't flop over but it does have a crook in the middle of it.

This is one of the NN ones he turned out a Red and has a lot of black feathers throughout that are totally out of place. Anyway his comb is probably the largest and floppiest.

I know that he is definitely going to be a cull. No calico no Mille.

I came out with 1 Aloha pullet and 1 Aloha NN pullet and 1 buff/red pullet had a few spots but really light. Got 4 Aloha cockerels and 3 NN cockerels ( 1 dark red, 1 buff/red, and 1 Aloha).

Plus also with them I have a black NN ( the one I thought was going to be mottled but she's molted out solid black) and a NN that is half Golden Comet ( Gold Sex Link). These are all now 14 weeks old. Wow they sure grow up fast.

A lot of the NN roos next door (with zero Aloha blood - hatchery stock) have HUGE combs, but they don't really flop over. So I'd expect the bendy at most, but I doubt they will flop all the way over like a Leghorn comb!

I'm not sure how to interpret your message, so I'm asking for more information. These are some of the things that have run through my mind as I struggle to understand your perspective:

Are you saying FedEx/USPS failed when, out of 42 eggs, 38 arrived? I wouldn't exactly classify that as a failure on their part. It's not perfect, but it's more eggs than I had to start with for certain and I am very, very pleased with them.

Or, that Sommer doesn't pack the eggs correctly? I don't see how you could pack sufficiently to guard against stabbings or whole dented corners.

Or, Are you saying, it didn't happen? I don't know what kind of weird motive I must have for reporting damage that didn't occur.

Or, Are you saying, I believe that USPS is the root of all evil and FedEx is blameless, in my perspective?

Or, Are you saying, simply, that it's a mild puzzle to you because you've had such "success" with no damage whatsoever?

Let me say up front, that whatever it is that bothered you, I recognize this as my failure to communicate well and I want to understand so that I can address it and not repeat the mistake.

From my perspective, it is mildly puzzling how these things happen to a box marked fragile, yet I get a plethora of non fragile things with no damage whatsoever. I'm not making an assumption about the whole working force of FedEx or USPS. I made a joke about a fictional person that was not meant seriously. So perhaps I should cut the twisted joking because I can see if you work at these places and are consciously being as careful as you can be, you may feel hurt that I classify all FedEx/USPS workers as all the same and from my careless jest, it certainly sounds as if I do, when I truly don't.

I am so sorry I managed to offend you, I sure didn't mean it that way. I was just trying to make light of the situation and was inconsiderate in the process. Perhaps we should report shipping damage in a PM. I will try to remember that in future. Of course, I'm old and can't remember a lot of things and I don't have eggs shipped but rarely, so don't hold me to that one.

Deerfield,
Sorry I didn't mean to give you a case of Gish Gallop. I don't blame the USPS they have no control in the matter.Congress has forced the USPS to outsource in an effort to privatize our great postal service. Once that happens we can forget shipping Bettas and chickens. My solution is to use a re-enforced shipping box with at least 3/4 to 1 inch styrofoam liner, the added weight is negligible. I urge everyone to contact the congress person and demand they keep their hands off our USPS.

This project has been going on for several years. What are you trying to accomplish with this post?
The same as this breed, absolutely nothing

LOL! "debbieore" is under the mistaken assumption, that a breed created in the past, must be "better" than what is created today. On what basis? Because it has existed for a longer period of time?

Because something has existed longer, does not make it better. Is a Ford Model T "better" than a new electric Tesla? Both are revolutionary vehicles. The Model T gave everyone the chance to own a car, making history. It was the first vehicle to use the assembly line system, making cars affordable.

The Tesla is new, but was the highest safety rating on any car ever - having literally broken the machine designed to crush vehicles. It can reach speeds up to 120 miles an hour, and runs for up to 300+ miles on a single charge.

Purity is not "better" and older is not "better" either. New ideas and new innovations are always needed. Tastes change as times change.

To answer you question, the breeds of yesterday's farmer were created to be UNIFORM. White Leghorns, Barred Rocks, Rhode Island Reds. They are designed so that, were you to grab one chicken in a flock of 1000, every chicken would look exactly like that chicken - or that chicken - or that chicken - or that chicken.

Part of the reason: Farmers did not treat chickens as pets. If the chickens are uniform, it is easier to not become too attached to each chicken. It's easier to butcher a chicken, if it's a plain white chicken that looks exactly like the rest. Identical chickens that look exactly alike are easier to disassociate from, emotionally. You can't tell which is which. It is very difficult for a farmer to do the "dirty work" and butcher animals he cared for so carefully. It's easier to have a herd of "Black Angus" instead of Bessie, Joe, and Frank, when it comes time to butcher.

Today, backyard owners are no longer interested in identical chicken clones, because they are raising chickens for different purposes. Chickens are today's newest PET. Nobody is paying $500 on a gorgeous backyard coop so they can toss identical chickens in there and not enjoy them. It's cheaper to buy top grade eggs from the store, if you care about welfare. People are raising chickens today, for the pure joy of having them. Exactly like having any pet dog, or cat. And while Black Labradors are beautiful, not everyone wants 3 identical Black Labradors. They may want a black lab, and a yellow lab, and a Wirehair Fox Terrier. Just because you have one of a certain dog breed, does not mean you are obligated to have all of the same dog breed. People like to mix it up when it comes to pets. That's how pets are treated. It's different from livestock.

The minimum order at most hatcheries is 25 chicks, with a minimum of 5 of each breed. Backyard owners are now wanting a "mixed" flock of types, such as one Buff Orpington, one Barred Rock, two Ameraucanas, and one Silkie. The company "My Pet Chicken" has now become a thriving business, because it allowed people to buy one of each breed, and maybe only five chicks, total. Even if the chicks are like $10 each.

Aloha Chickens - like the very popular Icelandic and Swedish Flower - are allowed to look DIFFERENT. They are supposed to be strong, tough, and productive. But also, enjoyable to look at.

The end goal: Something that is as useful on a farm, as a Rhode Island Red or Leghorn, but uniquely colored.

Prettier than plain brown chickens, but every bit as useful.

People have made chickens PETS. They want chickens to love, to be companions, and YES - they want chickens to be beautiful to look at.

I want a chicken that is not only beautiful, but also practical and tough. That's what the point is.

And I know many *other* people who would want to own these chickens, too.

I can't believe, debbieore, that you have posted only 18 times on BYC, yet you have chosen to make one of these few posts, an inflammatory post that is made in total negativity, which is not the spirit of this forum, or this hobby.
Enjoy your purebred chickens, this project is not hurting them, and it's not hurting you. Have a great day!
frow.gif

Last edited:
LOL! "debbieore" is under the mistaken assumption, that a breed created in the past, must be "better" than what is created today. On what basis? Because it has existed for a longer period of time? Because something has existed longer, does not make it better. Is a Ford Model T "better" than a new electric Tesla? Both are revolutionary vehicles. The Model T gave everyone the chance to own a car, making history. It was the first vehicle to use the assembly line system, making cars affordable. The Tesla is new, but was the highest safety rating on any car ever - having literally broken the machine designed to crush vehicles. It can reach speeds up to 120 miles an hour, and runs for up to 300+ miles on a single charge. Purity is not "better" and older is not "better" either. New ideas and new innovations are always needed. Tastes change as times change. To answer you question, the breeds of yesterday's farmer were created to be UNIFORM. White Leghorns, Barred Rocks, Rhode Island Reds. They are designed so that, were you to grab one chicken in a flock of 1000, every chicken would look exactly like that chicken - or that chicken - or that chicken - or that chicken. Part of the reason: Farmers did not treat chickens as pets. If the chickens are uniform, it is easier to not become too attached to each chicken. It's easier to butcher a chicken, if it's a plain white chicken that looks exactly like the rest. Identical chickens that look exactly alike are easier to disassociate from, emotionally. You can't tell which is which. It is very difficult for a farmer to do the "dirty work" and butcher animals he cared for so carefully. It's easier to have a herd of "Black Angus" instead of Bessie, Joe, and Frank, when it comes time to butcher. Today, backyard owners are no longer interested in identical chicken clones, because they are raising chickens for different purposes. Chickens are today's newest PET. Nobody is paying $500 on a gorgeous backyard coop so they can toss identical chickens in there and not enjoy them. It's cheaper to buy top grade eggs from the store, if you care about welfare. People are raising chickens today, for the pure joy of having them. Exactly like having any pet dog, or cat. And while Black Labradors are beautiful, not everyone wants 3 identical Black Labradors. They may want a black lab, and a yellow lab, and a Wirehair Fox Terrier. Just because you have one of a certain dog breed, does not mean you are obligated to have all of the same dog breed. People like to mix it up when it comes to pets. That's how pets are treated. It's different from livestock. The minimum order at most hatcheries is 25 chicks, with a minimum of 5 of each breed. Backyard owners are now wanting a "mixed" flock of types, such as one Buff Orpington, one Barred Rock, two Ameraucanas, and one Silkie. The company "My Pet Chicken" has now become a thriving business, because it allowed people to buy one of each breed, and maybe only five chicks, total. Even if the chicks are like $10 each. Aloha Chickens - like the very popular Icelandic and Swedish Flower - are allowed to look DIFFERENT. They are supposed to be strong, tough, and productive. But also, enjoyable to look at. The end goal: Something that is as useful on a farm, as a Rhode Island Red or Leghorn, but uniquely colored. Prettier than plain brown chickens, but every bit as useful. People have made chickens PETS. They want chickens to love, to be companions, and YES - they want chickens to be beautiful to look at. I want a chicken that is not only beautiful, but also practical and tough. That's what the point is. And I know many *other* people who would want to own these chickens, too. I can't believe, debbieore, that you have posted only 18 times on BYC, yet you have chosen to make one of these few posts, an inflammatory post that is made in total negativity, which is not the spirit of this forum, or this hobby. Enjoy your purebred chickens, this project is not hurting them, and it's not hurting you. Have a great day! :frow
Well said alohachickens. If I were gifted with words then I would have said the exact sane thing. Me I get mad and pi--y and say things and that eould get me kicked off the forum. Okay back to chickens!

Back
Top Bottom