The Aloha Chicken Project

at this moment I am only on f1 of that cross but I'd you go to the link in my signature I have an album with pictures of most of my chickens
I went and took a peek. I think there would be easier breeds to pull Aloha colors out of, LOL, but I sell hatching eggs for $5 per dozen on the "barn eggs" if you want to try and pick some hatching eggs up next time you pass through town. :)

I went and took a peek.  I think there would be easier breeds to pull Aloha colors out of, LOL, but I sell hatching eggs for $5 per dozen on the "barn eggs" if you want to try and pick some hatching eggs up next time you pass through town.  :)
lol I don't go out of town much and when I do its usually to Tuscon...
Edited to add : I have this easter egger chick (I think she is a she) would this color work? I also have a silkie cross cockerel who is half cornish... Also my tablet is not doing pictures right now so I will post more pictures to that album

Last edited:
Growing out the peeps from the Dun Sussex rooster. Here is the breeder pen again:

The boy is HUGE, but totally the wrong color. However, I felt his body type was so strong, I wanted to try and get some kids out of him. He grew literally twice as fast as his siblings, so I wanted some of that fast growing thing, and good big type. So I've penned him with some of the biggest and some of the smaller but best colored hens.

I guess he does carry a Mottling gene, as I got one chick who is showing tremendous white:

The other chicks? Not much to speak of so far. I have a lot that are totally the wrong color - white with random black markings. And a few that look Buff Mottled but they have the teeny tiny spots, that in my experience, tend to "fade out" right around four months old. So I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of these ended up solid color:

I think I might give the mostly-white babies to neighbors and friends. They aren't what I need but I'd be curious to see what the white ones throw when crossed with a Mottled something. See if the Mottled colors pull out later.

------

I've also got more eggs from this pen due the 15th, and again on the 1st. I'll be raising the 15th peeps and giving the New Year's Clutch to a friend to raise. And then I'm going to sell the rooster, as I don't want to sell folks "Aloha"chicks that end up white.

Last edited:
So what color is Cinnamon? A Columbian with red leakage?
I think so? It's the same color as a Light Sussex, but the added Dun gene turns anything black to a smoky gray color.

Here is the page of the original breeder. Note, he crossed his with Light Sussex, and Light Sussex are some of the biggest chickens out there. Light Sussex will give Orpington a run for the money in terms of size! LOL.

http://cinnamonsussex.blogspot.com/

This rooster was super fast growing, too. And hopping on girls (well, trying to anyway) at only 3 months old. The Swedish Flowers were slow growers by American standards, so hoping for some early maturing heritage bloodlines. I remember my pure New Hampshire Red rooster being ready to breed at 5 months old. The pure Swedish rooster didn't manage to get going with the ladies until he was 7 months old.

Look at the great color on this small hen. To get ones like her - but with his size - would be awesome.

She's a perfect Aloha hen in every way except size. She even has yellow legs!

Just started to lay, she is a youngster hatched mid June 2015.

I think so? It's the same color as a Light Sussex, but the added Dun gene turns anything black to a smoky gray color. Here is the page of the original breeder. Note, he crossed his with Light Sussex, and Light Sussex are some of the biggest chickens out there. Light Sussex will give Orpington a run for the money in terms of size! LOL. http://cinnamonsussex.blogspot.com/ This rooster was super fast growing, too. And hopping on girls (well, trying to anyway) at only 3 months old. The Swedish Flowers were slow growers by American standards, so hoping for some early maturing heritage bloodlines. I remember my pure New Hampshire Red rooster being ready to breed at 5 months old. The pure Swedish rooster didn't manage to get going with the ladies until he was 7 months old. Look at the great color on this small hen. To get ones like her - but with his size - would be awesome. She's a perfect Aloha hen in every way except size. She even has yellow legs! Just started to lay, she is a youngster hatched mid June 2015.
So are you losing the spots with his chicks? If so, have you got any if his chicks that are old enough for breeding? And getting the spots back next generation? Sorry do many questions but I have a Columbian colored NN rooster that had the red leakage like that rooster. He's by no means as big as that rooster but he's pretty good sized for NN. He's probably the best rooster I have right now as for NN. He's totally bare on his neck, maybe one or two stray feathers, so I should be assured of all Naked Necked chicks from him. Here's a picture if him, he was a bit younger and I don't think he had his leakage yet:

Last edited:
So are you losing the spots with his chicks? If so, have you got any if his chicks that are old enough for breeding? And getting the spots back next generation?

Sorry do many questions but I have a Columbian colored NN rooster that had the red leakage like that rooster. He's by no means as big as that rooster but he's pretty good sized for NN.

He's probably the best rooster I have right now as for NN. He's totally bare on his neck, maybe one or two stray feathers, so I should be assured of all Naked Necked chicks from him.

Here's a picture if him, he was a bit younger and I don't think he had his leakage yet:
The read "leakage" on this guy told me he could carry Mottling, but I didn't know?

I *think* his Mom was my big Cinnamon Sussex hen:

And guessing from his huge size, perhaps his Dad was Thing 1 - who is a Buff Sussex cross?

I don't really know for sure if these are his parents, just my best guess. This was the dominant rooster at the time of hatching.

Anyway, if my guess is right he would be 3/4 Sussex and 1/4 Aloha.

Here he is with his hatch-mate. SAME AGE. The little guy is a "pure" Aloha (said jokingly, because it's not like Alohas are pure anything!)

But, anyway - you can see the size difference and weirdly this guy also had yellow legs as a youngster? Though they have faded as he matured. His huge size coupled with yellow leg gene are what made me want to give him a chance.

His babies have been over half white with dun or black markings - like him. Other chicks were mostly Buff showing very minimal mottling that will probably fade out as they grow but tells me they are at least mottled carriers:

I'll try to get more pics of these babies. Out of 21, I think I counted 11 that were white with black markings? The rest were buff-ish and three chicks (yes, only three!) have what I think could be white markings that may be visible Mottling as they age. So for sure I'll keep and raise those three chicks, plus I'll keep the buff-y hens that carry Mottling, as they should be big and will have Mottled chicks when crossed to a colorful dad.

Going to cull the white-ish ones probably in a week or so? Will take pics before that happens.

Funny how out of 21 chicks, I will probably be keeping 6 babies to raise! That's how it goes! LOL. So happy to see a few with color, though. I wasn't sure if any of his kids would be Mottled, it was possible that he didn't carry the Mottling gene at all. So tough to know, since Mottling can hide!

Oh - I forgot - nope, none of his kids are old enough to breed. He was born last March, and was breeding age in September but we were still having 110 degree temps then.

It was October before it cooled enough that they were starting to lay again. (Remember, we were having CRAZY high temps - like 106 - even into the first couple weeks of October!!!)

I set up the breeder pen in October, collected eggs in November, hatched them late November, so these babies are almost one month old just now!

I am hoping, however, that if this one chick is a boy, he will be mature and of breeding age by MAY, which would allow me to raise his kids over next summer:

After May, as we go into June, it gets too hot here. Laying stops so breeding is on hold from June - September. Got a late start on my Fall breeding, because Sept-Oct were unusually hot!

I'm going to continue to set up breeder pens, but anything born from here on out, I probably won't get chicks from until Fall 2016, unfortunately. This one little batch of 21 chicks was my last hope to "eeek" a good big mottled rooster into the mix late Spring. (Especially if he matures early?)

Here is a photo of the Dun boy *trying* to make things happen even as a chick, LOL! I've never seen this behavior in any boys that young before:

He was I think a bit over 3 months at this point? Like I said, the pure Swedish boys that I had, they just picked on the girls and didn't have a clue! I had to pen my pure Swedish Flower roo with the Aloha girls and wait forever before they finally figured it out. I used a pure Swedish boy for one season, and then moved him on. Was much more impressed with the New Hampshire Red bloodlines. Those were some nice, healthy, early maturing and good laying chickens!

The read "leakage" on this guy told me he could carry Mottling, but I didn't know? I *think* his Mom was my big Cinnamon Sussex hen: And guessing from his huge size, perhaps his Dad was Thing 1 - who is a Buff Sussex cross? I don't really know for sure if these are his parents, just my best guess. This was the dominant rooster at the time of hatching. Anyway, if my guess is right he would be 3/4 Sussex and 1/4 Aloha. Here he is with his hatch-mate. SAME AGE. The little guy is a "pure" Aloha (said jokingly, because it's not like Alohas are pure anything!) But, anyway - you can see the size difference and weirdly this guy also had yellow legs as a youngster? Though they have faded as he matured. His huge size coupled with yellow leg gene are what made me want to give him a chance. His babies have been over half white with dun or black markings - like him. Other chicks were mostly Buff showing very minimal mottling that will probably fade out as they grow but tells me they are at least mottled carriers: I'll try to get more pics of these babies. Out of 21, I think I counted 11 that were white with black markings? The rest were buff-ish and three chicks (yes, only three!) have what I think could be white markings that may be visible Mottling as they age. So for sure I'll keep and raise those three chicks, plus I'll keep the buff-y hens that carry Mottling, as they should be big and will have Mottled chicks when crossed to a colorful dad. Going to cull the white-ish ones probably in a week or so? Will take pics before that happens. Funny how out of 21 chicks, I will probably be keeping 6 babies to raise! That's how it goes! LOL. So happy to see a few with color, though. I wasn't sure if any of his kids would be Mottled, it was possible that he didn't carry the Mottling gene at all. So tough to know, since Mottling can hide!
My guy had a possibility of carrying mottling. His granddaddy was my old Salmon rooster go carried mottling. His mama didn't show mottling looked just like a Columbian whatever breed. His daddy was a orange barred so I figure that us where his red leakage comes from.

Back
Top Bottom