The Aloha Chicken Project

Now for the black ones.

These two have head spots. Theses are ( if it turns out ) cockerels. This should be a sex link cross.

The above two should be the pullets.

I just did THREE updates to my Blog! Please check it out here:

http://alohachickens.blogspot.com/

First post is about THESE guys - Bielefelder cross roosters!

Keep scrolling on the Blog, though, because the next post is about this dude:

Handsome, but not, um, "doing the deed" shall we say?

Look at all the INFERTILE eggs I had to toss, noooooo!!!!!

From my BEST hens too. *grumble grumble*

And keep scrolling on the blog because there is info about this guy:

That's a chick UNDER 3 MONTHS old! He's a *chunk*.

Probably because this is his Daddy:

Anyway, LOTS of updates! Tons of photos, please check it out:

http://alohachickens.blogspot.com/

I thought naked neck was recessive?

No, but then it all depends.
I'm going to have to let someone else try to explain the recessive/ dominant trait thing to you. I get homozygous and heterozygous mixed up. @Kev or @alohachickens. Can either of you help out on this answer? Thanks.

Last edited:
I thought naked neck was recessive?
Naked neck is dominant (it only takes one copy to show) heterozygous are the ones with only one copy some people refer to these as the bowtie Naked necks because at the bottom of their necks they have feathers that look like a bowtie , with two copies (homozygous) their necks are more naked

Naked neck is dominant (it only takes one copy to show) heterozygous are the ones with only one copy some people refer to these as the bowtie Naked necks because at the bottom of their necks they have feathers that look like a bowtie , with two copies (homozygous) their necks are more naked

So then that means that my hens are homozygous so all their babies will be Naked Necked, done will only carry one NN gene though from a non-NN rooster.

Last edited:
If two chickens with heterozygous (one copy) of a dominant gene are mated together, then the results are like this -

(We will use the NN as an example, but this percentage chart is the same with ANY simple dominant gene, like the color Blue)

Both "bowtie" parents with one copy of the NN gene, can give either a NN or not NN - 50/50 chance. That's how Dominant works.

Statistically, two chicks will get it from one parent OR the other - so you'll get 50% "bowtie" (one copy) NN's

25% of the chicks will get a "regular neck" gene from both parents - and will be "normal" feather chicks.

25% of the chicks will get TWO copies - one copy of NN from each parent - and these "double NN" chicks will make 100% more NN's.

It works exactly the same with Blue. If you mate two Blue chickens together, out of four chicks you should get two Blues, one Black and one Splash - which is the "double dose" of Blue.

Anything with a "double dose" of a Dominant gene is called "Homozygous". (Think of a gallon of milk to keep it straight)

One copy of a dominant gene is called "Heterozygous".

Dominant genes are really easy to work with. Alohas are almost all Recessive genes which are much harder! LOL. Upright combs, yellow legs, red, and mottling are all recessives, which means if you cross a spotty Aloha with practically any other breed, it will look like the other breed, not the Aloha parent. Ha ha.

Back
Top Bottom