The Aloha Chicken Project

OMG, @Kev ! (And anyone else, of course...) Someone from My Pet Chicken just posted some "teenager" pics of the Ameri-flowers - to me, several look like they have lavender - they look like porcelains!

post #7317

- Ant Farm

Are they crosses between Swedish flower hen and amers?

afaik, lavender isn't present in flowers.. blue is though.

One surefire way to tell if a light colored bird is blue or lavender: if there are *any* darker areas or even a single feather that is plainly darker than rest of body it is not lavender. Lavender dilutes everything very evenly- the same color/tone is diluted to exactly the same color elsewhere.

Blue typically has some areas or some feathers that are noticeably darker. A typical example are darker hackles and saddles on a blue rooster. The chicks are showing a darker shade on their heads, that;s an effect of blue. Also one chick has a single darker feather.

Not as obvious, the red/gold areas are not exactly diluted to a pastel color.. they retain a bit of 'hardness' to these areas.

I have a rooster that made me do a double take.. even though I knew lavender was a impossibility in his line... tried several separate times to take pictures of him to best capture his actual colors but the camera phone is apparently very confused about his color and tries to over correct with overexposing or putting a strange effect like a deliberate photoshop effect.. so here's the (ahem)"best" picture of him:

All of the blue parts are a soft light gray color, pretty close to actual lavender color/shade. His upcoming sickles are darker than his old tail feathers, something that can happen with lavender(they can get sun bleached a bit- and he was in a very sunny pen). However the total giveaway are the red streaks on feathers close to his right shoulder. These red feathers aren't softened to a straw/pastel shade at all..

His saddles and cap are way brighter than actual color.. it's regular white with slight pastel gold straw tint on his saddle feathers.

He's "just" a light toned blue silver duckwing... lavender not involved.

I have no idea why blue varies so much, from light"hey is this lavender..?" gray all the way to so dark it looks black, nor why some blues have a dark edging to their feathers or why others lack it

btw for questionable solid blue vs solid lavender birds, there is a way to tell- one or the other has darker quills on the underside of feathers.. I can't remember which one has that or where(could be all feathers, simply easier to see on tail/wing feathers)..

Last edited:
Are they crosses between Swedish flower hen and amers?

afaik, lavender isn't present in flowers.. blue is though.

One surefire way to tell if a light colored bird is blue or lavender: if there are *any* darker areas or even a single feather that is plainly darker than rest of body it is not lavender. Lavender dilutes everything very evenly- the same color/tone is diluted to exactly the same color elsewhere.

Blue typically has some areas or some feathers that are noticeably darker. A typical example are darker hackles and saddles on a blue rooster. The chicks are showing a darker shade on their heads, that;s an effect of blue. Also one chick has a single darker feather.

Not as obvious, the red/gold areas are not exactly diluted to a pastel color.. they retain a bit of 'hardness' to these areas.

I have a rooster that made me do a double take.. even though I knew lavender was a impossibility in his line... tried several separate times to take pictures of him to best capture his actual colors but the camera phone is apparently very confused about his color and tries to over correct with overexposing or putting a strange effect like a deliberate photoshop effect.. so here's the (ahem)"best" picture of him:

All of the blue parts are a soft light gray color, pretty close to actual lavender color/shade. His upcoming sickles are darker than his old tail feathers, something that can happen with lavender(they can get sun bleached a bit- and he was in a very sunny pen). However the total giveaway are the red streaks on feathers close to his right shoulder. These red feathers aren't softened to a straw/pastel shade at all..

His saddles and cap are way brighter than actual color.. it's regular white with slight pastel gold straw tint on his saddle feathers.

He's "just" a light toned blue silver duckwing... lavender not involved.

I have no idea why blue varies so much, from light"hey is this lavender..?" gray all the way to so dark it looks black, nor why some blues have a dark edging to their feathers or why others lack it

btw for questionable solid blue vs solid lavender birds, there is a way to tell- one or the other has darker quills on the underside of feathers.. I can't remember which one has that or where(could be all feathers, simply easier to see on tail/wing feathers)..
Agreed, the AmeriFlowers have to be blue.

Just wait until you guys see more of the Dun color in the Alohas. I've got a lot of young stock here with the Dun, it will replace Blue in this project so we won't have to worry about "Splash".

I now have about 10 Dun + Mottled chicks growing out. Need to take more pics for y'all.

Bunches of babies growing out!

This handsome guy is probably by the Dun rooster.
However I have another hen with Dun who carries Mottling so it might be her kid?

More peeps - these ones with pink legs are probably by the Mille Sussex rooster, the guy who has been mostly infertile. I did get some of his eggs to hatch, however, just not tons.

Possibly another by the Mille Sussex roo?

Cute hen, good size good color. Pink/white legs but oh well. LOL.

More peeps showing the "not right colors" on some. Only the spotty one on top is showing correct color. Just so y'all can feel the pain of my enormous feed bill trying to raise peeps to find the few correct for the Aloha program goals.

Boy? Girl? Not sure.

Overall view, showing their size. Adult Aloha hen in front photobombed this pic, and you can see the teenagers are already almost the same size! Seeing some real size improvement here. Now the waiting to see if they keep their spots?

I had one of my speckled sussex girls' eggs this morning as part of my omelet (they just started laying last week).

It was fertile!!!!!!
ep.gif

Mr. Tankity Tank Tank, their Naked Neck betrothed, apparently has it goin' on with all the fence hopping. They are SOOOOOOOOO ready for me to finish building their tractor coop. I got a lot done on it today, so sooooon......

- Ant Farm

I had one of my speckled sussex girls' eggs this morning as part of my omelet (they just started laying last week).

It was fertile!!!!!!
ep.gif

Mr. Tankity Tank Tank, their Naked Neck betrothed, apparently has it goin' on with all the fence hopping. They are SOOOOOOOOO ready for me to finish building their tractor coop. I got a lot done on it today, so sooooon......

- Ant Farm
Sounds like you will be able to get Phase 1 of your homegrown spotty Naked Neck program going sooner than later? LOL!

Does Tank have yellow legs? I can't remember from the pic that you shared.

It was fertile!!!!!!:eek:

- Ant Farm 

Sounds like you will be able to get Phase 1 of your homegrown spotty Naked Neck program going sooner than later?  LOL!

Does Tank have yellow legs?  I can't remember from the pic that you shared.

No, white... I'm not worried about leg color, though. (Sorry!)

Back
Top Bottom