The Aloha Chicken Project

Pics
how old are these chicks? i really like the roo in pic #2, he has dinosaur eyes - very much character in him. also has good color and nice yellow legs :) what do you mean by sussex type white spots? i am about to thin my larger flock when i get back and dont want to let go of anything important, or keep anything thats going to lose their color.

Ok, I am caught up!

I have a question on the feathers. Do you envision them a fluffier bird like an Orp or a more like the NHR?

As I was telling KarenS, I hadn't thought about getting involved. I have a very limited amount of breeds I can keep. My main laying flock are EE's with an EE roo, and I got to thinking that I can do the Alohas, if I just get rid of my EE roo. Since all my EE hens lay blue/green eggs, there won't be a problem.

Soooooo, I have offered my help, and knowledge of chickens (what there is of it,) to Karen.

If you would be willing to allow me to join your party, I would be honored. I would also start haunting feed stores looking for SS and Buff/Red chicks.
wink.png

BTW...I have Alohas hatching! They are from Steven's, Sommer's and my breeding peens. :woot

Three are out so far. One is curiously black...

Unless you can find adult birds, it may be easier for us to ship you eggs. My current breeding pen is mostly outcrosses with the speckled sussex under an Aloha rooster. (Outcrossing has been my job during this breeding project: attempting to increase the size while retaining the good laying skillz). Pumpkin has some Aloha hens as well, but we can save you a whole generation of outcrossing with his ladies' eggs. We can send you some of Sommer's eggs too, so your future Aloha flock is mostly 100% Alohas and a bunch of outcrosses. Short-cuts!

LOL. What if we just sent twice as many eggs with you, and the KS people met up to disseminate them? (I have no idea wheresabouts in KS they all live, so I am just talking out my bottom.)

by my understanding they both live in wichita. i can take as many eggs as yours and sommers hens will lay! i'm driving my van and there are 3 empty seats, not to mention the floor to ceiling space, and the stow and go, LOL

Back
Top Bottom