The Aloha Chicken Project

Pics
I borrowed two hens of Stephen's to use in my breeder pens. Since his breeder pens aren't set up yet. Seems a shame not to be collecting eggs from such lovely girls!

They aren't big hens, but they are packed with color. I put them in with two sons of Cheeto that have great body type and nice size, but no spots. These roosters do carry spots, though. Hope this cross "clicks" and makes some lovely babies! Can't wait to see what hatches. Here are photos of the boys:

Last edited:
Last photo "bomb" of the day! These are the half Swedish Flower, half Aloha chicks.

BAM! We've got some color here! Ha ha:

And I love these two half-Aloha roos! Especially the one standing on top of the rock. SO MUCH WHITE!!!

Here is his pretty face:

A neat hen:

An odd hen:

And a few are pure Swedish Flower. Looks like maybe two more pure Swedish hen and one pure Swedish rooster. Here's the (likely) pure Swedish Flower hen. Will be putting these girls in with a 100% Aloha rooster. These are about four months old! Just two more months until they are of breeding age . . .

The pure Swedish have such loooong legs and toes! :)

I went up to visit Stephen today. Due to a snafu, I missed Stephen but I did get to see his chickens! Ha ha!

Tooks tons of photos, but I wanted to share this photo of what must be a half-Sussex hen. She's big and gorgeous!!!

I know, she's not THAT much different from a regular Sussex! Not earth-shattering new ground here. But she is a really pretty girl. No size issues, here, either. I can't wait until we can get Stephen's breeder pens set up and collect eggs from her.

She is very pretty! I love that she's much lighter than a regular Sussex.

I borrowed two hens of Stephen's to use in my breeder pens. Since his breeder pens aren't set up yet. Seems a shame not to be collecting eggs from such lovely girls!

They aren't big hens, but they are packed with color. I put them in with two sons of Cheeto that have great body type and nice size, but no spots. These roosters do carry spots, though. Hope this cross "clicks" and makes some lovely babies! Can't wait to see what hatches. Here are photos of the boys:

Wow! Such exciting combinations! Can't wait to see what comes of them.

Last photo "bomb" of the day! These are the half Swedish Flower, half Aloha chicks.

BAM! We've got some color here! Ha ha:

And I love these two half-Aloha roos! Especially the one standing on top of the rock. SO MUCH WHITE!!!

Here is his pretty face:

A neat hen:

An odd hen:

And a few are pure Swedish Flower. Looks like maybe two more pure Swedish hen and one pure Swedish rooster. Here's the (likely) pure Swedish Flower hen. Will be putting these girls in with a 100% Aloha rooster. These are about four months old! Just two more months until they are of breeding age . . .

The pure Swedish have such loooong legs and toes! :)
The crosses are really nice. LOVE those boys!
I've noticed the long legs and toes on my Swedish, also. At first I thought they were all roos!
th.gif
I soon realized they were all just very long legged! Of 10 Swedish it looks like I have 4 girls, two with crests! Good grief, but oh well.

Tomorrow, I'll post some pics of my two new half Aloha/half Speckled Sussex chicks. Surprise! They aren't chipmunk striped chicks at all! Tomorrow I'm separating 4 small breeding groups. I'll photo them as well so you can see who's with who, just so you can set me straight, if you see any changes I should make.

Karen - Can't wait to see the new chicks and the breeder pen groups! Yes, that one hen of Stephen's is gorgeous. When I said "I really like that hen . . " he was like, "I know the one you're talking about!" before I even described her. LOL! She's so BIG and vibrant! He is a big fan of the Sussex now, and just loves his Meyer's hatchery pure Sussex hens. This hen is like a brighter, sunnier version of a Sussex!

Stephen is really going to focus on Sussex "type" he's decided, because he's such a fan. I love that Aloha members can customize their flocks! Larissa is fond of the Ameraucana lines on her Aloha flock, and is moving that direction, even though the tend to have gray legs and puffy cheeks. I'm OK with that - if Mille Ameraucanas are what work best for her, so be it. They are still hearty, big, colorful, practical, and good layers. (You can always breed out puffy cheeks and gray legs later. At least the Ameraucana crosses will have size and laying ability.) It is going to be really fun to see how everyone's flocks start to look as time goes on.

Well, I was going to hatch out a big old group of Aloha chicks to sell or keep or . . . whatever. But looks like I got the humidity too high! Almost the entire hatch was ruined! 10 eggs are still developing out of the 48 that I started with. Good grief! I knew I had the humidity too high at first, but I figured it would dry out a lot faster being Phoenix and all.

To be fair, about 20 eggs were "blanks". The rest were blood rings, which hardly I never get. Those are likely "human error". So fertility dropped, probably because I put the two Cheeto sons in their own breeder pen. Apparently, the other three roos aren't doing the job with the rest of the "ladies". The only bright spot, was all the biggest eggs (including some that are probably from the pure Swedish hen) are ALL developing. So it will be 10 chicks at most, mostly from larger eggs.

If I'm going to mess up a hatch, better it was this group instead of the breeder pen's eggs that I'll be setting in about one week. Whew!

I sure hope fertility in those eggs from the breeder pen is good, or I'll be pulling my hair out!

"I went up to visit Stephen today. Due to a snafu, I missed Stephen but I did get to see his chickens! Ha ha!

Took tons of photos, but I wanted to share this photo of what must be a half-Sussex hen. She's big and gorgeous!!!

(Pics deleted)

I know, she's not THAT much different from a regular Sussex! Not earth-shattering new ground here. But she is a really pretty girl. No size issues, here, either. I can't wait until we can get Stephen's breeder pens set up and collect eggs from her."

Did you get any picks of his rooster or are they already here on an earlier post?
Joe

Stephen has a ton of roosters, but none of them are exactly what we need to cross with those hens. It's very frustrating!

The ideal rooster would be not too small, be light in color, show mottling, and have yellow legs. Right now we have yellow legs and no mottling. Or bigger and mottled with pink legs. Notinoz has a promising roo with yellow legs and mottling, but his size is not going to be very big, it looks like. He's still young though, he may grow. She is doing a test hatch with him soon. Keep your fingers crossed!

The best rooster for those Sussex-type hens is probably my neighbor's big rooster who I could borrow, and right now I don't have a pen set up for this fellow:

But if I did have a pen ready, I'd put him with these hens of Stephen's:

And these are the other hens I'd like to put with this rooster, my pure Mille Swedish hens and my half Swedish light mille hens:

I think this would be a fabulous breeder pen. I still need to figure out a design and budget for new breeder pens, my boyfriend is willing to help build some for me, but I can't figure out the layout.

This pen could be a reality this spring, however.

Meanwhile, Stephen has two pens he plans on building for the Alohas. Both pens are started, but a few weeks ago he had triple bypass surgery (!!!) so obviously that has slowed the progress down! It will be months before he can lift more than 20 lbs but he's hoping to get some help finishing the pens. Regardless, even if it takes a few more months, his breeder pens will get built by Spring for sure.

We are so close to getting a true Aloha Chicken!!! That red-mottled Sussex-like hen of his would qualify, if she had yellow legs. I'd still like to see bigger spots like this hen of mine:

But if Stephen's hens had the yellow legs, they are still not quite the same color as a "regular" Sussex and they would qualify as decent Aloha chickens based on size, shape, and they are all mottled. Would love to see bigger splangles, though. I just love TONS of big spots! The hen shown above is from my breeder pen, and she has great mottling but is small. We are still having issues with size + color. The most spectacularly colored Alohas still tend to be the smallest. Just waiting for that "breakthrough" when we finally get the wild coloring on a BIG chicken body.

Last edited:
Stephen has a ton of roosters, but none of them are exactly what we need to cross with those hens. It's very frustrating!

The best rooster for those Sussex-type hens is probably my neighbor's big rooster who I could borrow, and right now I don't have a pen set up for this fellow:

But if I did have a pen ready, I'd put him with these hens of Stephen's:

And these are the other hens I'd like to put with this rooster, my pure Mille Swedish hens and my half Swedish light mille hens:

I think this would be a fabulous breeder pen. I still need to figure out a design and budget for new breeder pens, my boyfriend is willing to help build some for me, but I can't figure out the layout.

This pen could be a reality this spring, however.

Meanwhile, Stephen has two pens he plans on building for the Alohas. Both pens are started, but a few weeks ago he had triple bypass surgery (!!!) so obviously that has slowed the progress down! It will be months before he can lift more than 20 lbs but he's hoping to get some help finishing the pens. Regardless, even if it takes a few more months, his breeder pens will get built by Spring for sure.

We are so close to getting a true Aloha Chicken!!! That red-mottled Sussex-like hen of his would qualify, if she had yellow legs. I'd still like to see bigger spots like this hen of mine:

But if Stephen's hens had the yellow legs, they are still not quite the same color as a "regular" Sussex and they would qualify as decent Aloha chickens based on size, shape, and they are all mottled. Would love to see bigger splangles, though. I just love TONS of big spots! The hen shown above is from my breeder pen, and she has great mottling but is small. We are still having issues with size + color. The most spectacularly colored Alohas still tend to be the smallest. Just waiting for that "breakthrough" when we finally get the wild coloring on a BIG chicken body.

The hen the last pic looks great. It is hard to tell by the pic that she is small, how small is she? What I like best besides her spotting is no black tail feathers. Does your standard call for black tail feathers in hens and roosters?
The long toe is interesting, is it a dominate trait? Also has anyone out crossed to a CX or better yet a CX F1 out of another white bird?

Fun project, thanks for sharing,
Joe in NM.

I got one Aloha chick out of 6 I set... One made it to the point of creating a breathing hole out of the egg and then died before hatching.

This one looks like a chipmunk, with black and brown stripes on a yellow body. Grey legs tho. Her(crosses fingers!) adopted Mum is doing a fabulous job raising her. Quite a cutie tho! I have 6 more in the bator as well as 5 under a determined broody and another Aloha that is determined to set as well, she has 6.

Cross your fingers every one!

Back
Top Bottom