The Aloha Chicken Project

Pics
I candled about 20 eggs from this breeder pen and all but two were developing! I can't wait to see them!

Due Friday, October 26th. Yay! Two bigger red roos that carry mottling, with my most colorful hens!

Forgot to mention . . . I set 30 eggs but since it's not even been one full week, this preliminary candling was just to check for fertility. I'll do a full candling at 10 days and then I'll see what kind of hatch I could really be looking at!

Looking REALLY good. Great news about the fertility
clap.gif

That was torture waiting to candle these eggs! But everything looks good so far.

Okay, I set a few more than 30 eggs (added on to the final setting for a couple of days) and ended up with 29 developing. One of those looks "iffy" so it's probably 28 developing.

I'll be hoping for around two dozen chicks to hatch right before Halloween, if all goes well. I am also collecting again from this breeder pen, and may set a second batch around 10/20. The girls are laying like gangbusters right now.

Also going to save some eggs from this pen for fellow project member Notinoz, starting in early November.

I want to hatch out as many chicks as I can from this pen. Just don't have the room to keep everyone, and the half-Swedish half-Alohas will be ready to breed in December. I'll need this breeder pen space for those in just a couple of months.

Goal is to improve body type and size, while actually getting colored chicks that (hopefully!) KEEP their spots into adulthood. These chicks will have zero Swedish Flower blood which would make them ideal to cross with pure Swedish Flowers and Swedish/Aloha crosses.

I really hope I get some chickens that look like "Dragon" here . . . but with spots!

I have been getting notices about our local "Tour De Coops" which is a city-wide "open house", er, "open coop" day in Phoenix. It's a pretty big event out here. I am wondering if somehow one of my culled Aloha hens ended up as the Poster Chicken for the event? I have no other explanation. I mean, does this look like ANY other breed? Please speak up if you think it could be a Mille Leghorn perhaps or something else?

(photo from Tour De Coops, see their web page here: http://tourdecoops.vpaaz.org/ )

Not sure who owns this hen, I may email the VPA and try to find out? All I know is that I have given away many culls and also sold chicks via Craigslist, so it certainly is possible. At least 300-400 chicks and culls have been sold or given away since I started this project in 2008-2009. She REALLY looks like something from my earlier Aloha stock. Makes me wonder.

Someday when our property is cleaned up and presentable, I'd love to participate as a host on the Tour. But right now, our backyard looks like something out of a third world country and is not fit for public tours! LOL!

My boyfriend FINALLY agreed to sell the project boat hulls he has had laying around here for the last decade, so your yard will soon look worlds better. I can't wait until the boat hulls and assorted parts are gone! Then I may actually be able to have a pretty yard, yay!!!

Here are my 9 week old Swedish Flowers. Thoughts?

#1 Pullet

#2 Pullet

#3 Cockerel

#4 Cockerel

#5 Cockerel This one is almost completely solid.

#6 Pullet

#7 Cockerel

#8 Pullet

#9 Pullet

#10 Cockerel

i wanted to post before i forgot. the large eggs did not result in larger chicks. out of the 3 that hatched only 1 seems bigger than normal aloha size. we are feathering out right and so far lots of white shoulders. they are so pretty.

Back
Top Bottom