The Ameraucana Thread: Where everything and anything about the breed can be discussed (APA, Non-Stan

I have some updated photos to show. I was sold an Auraucana... But I was told by some people on this forum that she may actually be an EE. What do you think now? Still? Its ok either way, she is coming out really pretty.

Here she is at 3 weeks...

Last edited:
Hello all! Long time lurker first time poster. After a few weeks of coordination with a fellow BYCer from the Alabama thread, last night we added a year old Ameracauna hen, and 6 chicks to our feathered family. The hen is black, with a gorgeous green tint, black puffed cheeks, short res comb, and gorgeous caramel colored eyes. There are 5 black peeps, and 1 blue. They look like little week old balls of velvet. I look forward to getting you some pictured of Bertha and the chicks. :) I am excited to add these birds to our flock of silkies, jersey giants, and blue laced red wyandottes. Everyone accepted Bertha like she has been here the whole time! I hope her temperament stays so wonderful. Any tips on sexing the chicks yet? What should i look for? They are about a week old. Will take and post some pictures soon!

Hello all! Long time lurker first time poster. After a few weeks of coordination with a fellow BYCer from the Alabama thread, last night we added a year old Ameracauna hen, and 6 chicks to our feathered family. The hen is black, with a gorgeous green tint, black puffed cheeks, short res comb, and gorgeous caramel colored eyes. There are 5 black peeps, and 1 blue. They look like little week old balls of velvet. I look forward to getting you some pictured of Bertha and the chicks.
smile.png
I am excited to add these birds to our flock of silkies, jersey giants, and blue laced red wyandottes. Everyone accepted Bertha like she has been here the whole time! I hope her temperament stays so wonderful. Any tips on sexing the chicks yet? What should i look for? They are about a week old. Will take and post some pictures soon!
Hello there, welcome to the thread! Ameraucana chicks can be difficult to sex at a young age. My main clue for Ameraucanas and Easter eggers is comb color and development. Roosters also tend to have thick legs and stand taller than pullets. Sometimes you can spread out the wing feathers. Males will not be growing in uniform in length. Females have uniform primary feathers. Unfortunately, you are probably going to have to wait until they are five or six weeks old to get a batter idea.

Wow - she advertises purebred and allows mixing? Is this among just one breed - or all the breeds? Scary!

Yes, I agree. If they are claiming to have purebred Ameraucanas you need parental information - and from who's line the birds descend (Smith x Blehm example). If they don't know that - then you are getting Easter Eggers or mixed birds.

If the bird is listed as an Amer-i-cauna, it is very probably not an Ameraucana. it is an Easter Egger. Most serious breeders know how to spell it, and are well aware of the differences. I am selling some of my EE hens - but it doesn't do me any good to put Easter Eggers on the ad because nobody knows what they are (except us and the Ameraucana breeders). Americauna are recognizable as laying colored (blue) eggs. If anybody asks me about buying them - I will tell them they are NOT AmerAUcanas - and they are not showable or purebred birds. Mine at least do lay a lot of nice blue eggs.
A couple of different breeds. And I hope that comment didn't come out as snippy or anything like that. I was just saying. I mean when you believe that a person is giving you one thing and you end up with something else, it's a bummer. But I love all my little chickens no matter what they are. And I know that she's not the norm so...
smile.png

Hey there! I'm a chicken noob, but so far all 6 of our chicks have made it through life with our loving care and are now about 8 weeks old (they just moved into their coop late last week and have a light for warmth as it's still a bit cold in Seattle). Our Ameraucana is starting to be vocal (more than the others) and is protective of the others. We're wondering if she is perhaps a he? I've searched the interwebs high and low and havne't run across another ameraucana with the same coloring.

~a couple weeks old

5 or 6 weeks old

~8 weeks old (all the chicks were trying to peck at my ring when I took this picture! They were very curious...)

She's really pretty. The kids named her 'owl' because she looked like a little owl when she was a baby (it seems "Hawk" might be more appropriate now!). Anyway, she does have the fluffy neck feathers, curved beak and slate legs, so I'm assuming that I did in fact get a real ameraucana. Just trying to figure out how to tell if we really got a hen or a rooster... Any help? :)
Your chick is an easter egger and it is a cockerel. He has a real pronounced comb already. The legs on your birdie are green, slate is a blue color.

Hey there! I'm a chicken noob, but so far all 6 of our chicks have made it through life with our loving care and are now about 8 weeks old (they just moved into their coop late last week and have a light for warmth as it's still a bit cold in Seattle). Our Ameraucana is starting to be vocal (more than the others) and is protective of the others. We're wondering if she is perhaps a he? I've searched the interwebs high and low and havne't run across another ameraucana with the same coloring.

~a couple weeks old

5 or 6 weeks old

~8 weeks old (all the chicks were trying to peck at my ring when I took this picture! They were very curious...)

She's really pretty. The kids named her 'owl' because she looked like a little owl when she was a baby (it seems "Hawk" might be more appropriate now!). Anyway, she does have the fluffy neck feathers, curved beak and slate legs, so I'm assuming that I did in fact get a real ameraucana. Just trying to figure out how to tell if we really got a hen or a rooster... Any help? :)
Hi and welcome! Your birds are so cute! Where did you get them from? As your bird is feathering out I am more inclined to lean toward rooster. It's still a little hard to tell tor me. The patches of colors coming in on the wings looks "roosterish" too. I don't see a lot of red in it's comb yet, but it doesn't look flesh colored either. Your bird looks like a non-standard Ameraucana or an Easter Egger. The only APA approved color it resembles is silver, and thats only if your bird is indeed a rooster. It's chick picture doesn't resemble any of the APA standard colors either. Have you checked out the pictures on the Ameraucana Breeders Club (ABC) website? The pictures on that site were very helpful to me when I was learning about the breed. I will post the link below just in case you haven't seen it yet.

http://www.ameraucana.org/scrapbook.html

Back
Top Bottom