The American Hollands Chicken Thread & Census

The American Hollands Chicken Census: Check each option that applies.

• We have Barred Hollands

Votes: 20 83.3%
  • We have White Hollands

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • We have layers only

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • We have less than 5 Breeders

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • We have 10 Breeders

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • We have 20 Breeders

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • We have 30 Breeders

• We have 40 Breeders

• We have 50 Breeders

• We have 60 Breeders

• We have 70 Breeders

• We have 80 Breeders

• We have 90 Breeders

• We have 100 Breeders

• We have 100-125 Breeders

• We have 125+ Breeders

• Our Barred Hollands are from Ideal Poultry Farms.

• Our Barred Hollands are from Duane Urch/Turnland.

• Our Barred Hollands are from Sandhill Preservation.

• Our Barred Hollands are from a private breeder.

Votes: 9 37.5%

• Total voters
Quote:
Duane Urch may have some hatching eggs. I know some are not wanting to share hatching eggs just yet. They feel their birds are not quite what they should be. Jeanette at the ALBC may be able to point you in the direction of someone with hatching eggs.

Seems Steve is returning to his family farm, so Jeanette will be taking over the Hollands Improvement Project.

Hi all, I've been looking at the old Holland thread. I didn't realize there was a new one.
The first pic is my flock. These are ideal birds. Most of the eggs are a little bit cream colored, but I do get a few white eggs

10901_barred_hollands.jpg

My first goal is to hatch many from white eggs. From these, I will select the best according to ALBC selection criteria. I will be culling about 90% of the offspring. Hopefully the pullets will go to a backyard egg flock.

Here is one of my roosters and hen. also ideal but from a different source. The hen is a lttle too cuckoo colored, but does lay white eggs. . If you want white eggs from these birds (the flock and the single hen( I can sell by the dozen. I have been getting good fertility. These birds are not as big as they should be, and offspring used for breeding should be carefully selected according to ALBC assessment on their website. I make no pretense that these are show quality or up to the standard, but it will give you something to start with,

I recently received some from Duane Urch. It will be interesting to see how they grow up, how different they will be from the ideal birds, and what color will their egg be?

10901_bhp.jpg

10901_bhk.jpg

here is a white barred Holland egg on top of store-bought white eggs.

10901_barred_holland_egg.jpg

Welcome Jen!

I have seen Jen's flock in person. Though she has a ways to go, she has an excellent start. She also has a passion about the Hollands. "If" we ever get a breed club off the groud, I would suggest Jen would make a great President.

Jen, if you decide to "cull" a pair or trio, let me know. Barred is not really my thing, but then Buckeye really wasn't either.

Quote:
Plans are to start the Hollands project in May.

On another bright note...this thread is now a sticky in the breeds listings. Should make it easier to locate. Thanks to hinkjc!

Quote:

On another bright note...this thread is now a sticky in the breeds listings. Should make it easier to locate. Thanks to hinkjc!

Cool!
Too bad I don't have much extra space.......

Quote:

Cool!

Hey, I know this fellow in Arkansas that can build you a new coop!
lau.gif

Quote:
Cool!

Hey, I know this fellow in Arkansas that can build you a new coop!
lau.gif

Hey, I think I have heard of him! I hear he has some nice birds too and is a funny guy!
lau.gif

I wonder, could you give me some ideas for plans? I think my Plymouth Rocks and Buckeyes will be enough for now, but, like you said who knows?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom