The American Orpington Fanciers Thread

Am I crazy for fancying this girl?
I rarely get any comments on my photos and I was hoping to get others' feedback.

Jim is correct. Too much fluff, comb does not follow the head, she has a cushion before the tail and the tail is more like a British Orp. As far as color....she needs black lacing around each feather, there seems to be brown or some foreign color near the tail and she may have white in the earlobes. I am looking at this as a judge and critiqing the bird as I would in a show. She looks to be in very good condition. She is closer to the British type than the American type.

Walt

It should be noted that this is the The American Orpington Fanciers Thread.

All posted photos are subject to being critiqued by the American Standard of Perfection.

This thread was started to have a place for those who agree and breed to the American Standard.

It should be noted that this is the The American Orpington Fanciers Thread. [COLOR=000000]All posted photos are subject to being critiqued by the American Standard of Perfection.[/COLOR] [COLOR=000000]This thread was started to have a place for those who agree and breed to the American Standard.[/COLOR]
Jim is correct. Too much fluff, comb does not follow the head, she has a cushion before the tail and the tail is more like a British Orp. As far as color....she needs black lacing around each feather, there seems to be brown or some foreign color near the tail and she may have white in the earlobes. I am looking at this as a judge and critiqing the bird as I would in a show. She looks to be in very good condition. She is closer to the British type than the American type. Walt
Sorry. I'm new to Orpingtons and none of mine seem to fit into English or American I guess. Oh well.

One old poultry judge once said, "Start where you are at and go from there."

You start with what you have and work towards the Standard of Perfection. Your Blue Orpingtons look nice. theys eem to have good size. Look for a Nice Black Orpington male and use him to improve to the Standard.

White Orpingtons are very much in need of improvements. We acquired some additional White Orpington eggs from Hincjc MT Poultry. They have some of, if not the best White Orpingtons available. 3 weeks ago we ordered and received some eggs. Sadly, some arrived broken. A few minutes ago this is what I found in our incubator.

Hoping for more eggs to hatch. Not all are White Orpingtons. Some are ours and some are from the UA. Most of these eggs will hatch next week.

552118_4371007601055_629710196_n.jpg

About a month ago or so I did a great swap. A 500 word essay and shipping cost for a dozen Orpington hatching eggs. Here is the homeschooler's essay. We sent him some Buff and some Self Blue Orpington hatching eggs.

Quote:

HallFamilyFarm- That essay is awesome!
thumbsup.gif
Of course Dylan G. deserved some self-blues in that batch of eggs!!!
celebrate.gif
I hope that he continues to find more interesting information on the breed of his choice, and a very good choice it is too!
bun.gif
Good luck to him with his hatch of essay won eggs!
jumpy.gif

A very good friend in Texas told me about how he had helped youth with accepting an essay. The idea is an old one. One of my mentors, Hoyt Seeley (an OEGB fancier) would charge $5 for a $50 bird. He used to give away birds and learned the youth did not care for them properly. Then he started offering them birds for $5 each. He even would allow them to work off the debt on his small farm. The youth took better care of the "bought" birds because they had invested something into them.

With an essay, they have invested their time in researching the breed and then drafting, correcting, and redrafting the essay. Dylan's first draft I read spelled the breed as "O-R-P-H-I-N-T-O-N", as some hatchery catalogs spell it. We declined to accept it . I did not tell him "how" to correct the essay, just the word to look up. It is now added correctly to their spell check. His second submission passed with an "A" from my 8th grade English teacher wife.

Feed costs will not allow us to exchange a lot of hatching eggs for essays, but when we find taht one youth taht we feel is serious enough, then we will consider it. Of course, we always ask enough $ to cover shipping.

With Dylan, he had ordered eggs from several and none hatched. They had spent a lot of money on eggs and what did hatch was junk (if I recall correctly). A few producers should not push someone away from such a wonderful breed. I just felt I should do something.

Maybe next year we will do an essay contest for a pair of Orpingtons. That would be interesting and fun!

It should be noted that this is the The American Orpington Fanciers Thread. [COLOR=000000]All posted photos are subject to being critiqued by the American Standard of Perfection.[/COLOR] [COLOR=000000]This thread was started to have a place for those who agree and breed to the American Standard.[/COLOR]
Jim is correct. Too much fluff, comb does not follow the head, she has a cushion before the tail and the tail is more like a British Orp. As far as color....she needs black lacing around each feather, there seems to be brown or some foreign color near the tail and she may have white in the earlobes. I am looking at this as a judge and critiqing the bird as I would in a show. She looks to be in very good condition. She is closer to the British type than the American type. Walt
Sorry. I'm new to Orpingtons and none of mine seem to fit into English or American I guess. Oh well.
Please don't let the critiques get you down. You are having them "judged" here by some knowledgeable, very experienced people. The intent is to teach. Your bird does have size and the overall lines are good too. Enjoy her! Most of mine are by no means show birds but I love them very much and I've learned a lot by reading what the above posters have to say.

Back
Top Bottom