The American Orpington Fanciers Thread

I recently received a shipment of blue, black, and white orpingtons from Sand Hill Preservation.

I adore this breed, and have been trying for several years now to locate quality breeders in the NE. I live near Buffalo, NY.

I am specifically looking for the 3 colors mentioned above. I am also looking for American orpingtons, not English.

Any and all leads would be appreciated.
Do the White Orpingtons from Sandhill look goof for type and size? Have never seen any or photos of any. McMurray White Orpingtons look like Leghorn crosses.

Quote:
The hatchery Buff is almost red. Not the "medium shade of orange-yellow color with a rich golden cast" that the SOP calls for.

The Chocolate is an entirely different story. First the color chocolate is different genetics than the "dun" currently accepted.

Many refer to the Lavender color, but so far it is called "Self Blue" in the SOP and looks like will stay that way in the future.

Anyone interested in submitting a new color to be included in the APA Standard now needs to be an APA member for the complete 5 years that the process takes.

Walt

Thanks Walt!

Has the Self Blue, AKA Lavender, been submitted yet in Orpingtons? We have raised this variety since 2010, thus would fall into the requirements. Though we are still not happy with the type on the males. We are mating back to our Blacks this year to improve the type some more.

The hatchery Buff is almost red. Not the "medium shade of orange-yellow color with a rich golden cast" that the SOP calls for.

The Chocolate is an entirely different story. First the color chocolate is different genetics than the "dun" currently accepted.

Many refer to the Lavender color, but so far it is called "Self Blue" in the SOP and looks like will stay that way in the future.

Thanks Walt!

Has the Self Blue, AKA Lavender, been submitted yet in Orpingtons? We have raised this variety since 2010, thus would fall into the requirements. Though we are still not happy with the type on the males. We are mating back to our Blacks this year to improve the type some more.

No one has submitted Self blue in Orps.

Walt

I will try to get picks of all 3 colors this week for input.

I would have preferred breeder stock but have not been able to get a response from any breeders found east of the Mississippi.

If anyone has these colors please let me know as I would like to purchase eggs or even better - chicks.

I have 1 that I believe is a lavender and one who is pretty but definitely not to type. He is probably going now that he said not fill out as hoped over the winter.

Thanks Walt!

Even though that hatchery buff boy does appear extremely dark, as you could see from my own pictures of hatchery birds the color varies greatly among them. If you had a nice dark buff male like that, he could even out some of the lighter females since a darker down color is preferred when judging. But wow, I love seeing that comparison. I still think my "Whitetail" is a bit bigger than that hatchery bird, but it is good to get a side by side comparison rather than just seeing pics of them individually.

On another note, I took a major step in my Buff Orpington breeding plan by purchasing a juvenile roo from a lady that raises SOP orpingtons. This boy is the same age as my other buff cockerels and already I can tell the difference. His comb is smaller, his body is more round, the tail is not as long, more like a bump and he is at least 1/3 larger at 11 weeks old than my other boys. So we will be replacing both hatchery roos with him as soon as he is breeding age and hopefully do some heavy culling on some of my smaller hens before the year is over with.

Do the White Orpingtons from Sandhill look goof for type and size? Have never seen any or photos of any. McMurray White Orpingtons look like Leghorn crosses.

As promised. My apologies for poor quality of photos but you will get an idea

Last edited:
Hi all!
Does anyone sell or know I'd anyone that sells good quality bbs American type orpingtons? I was in love with English, but have to break the romance since they can't be successfully shown in the US yet. I really just want to raise good quality bbs orps that can be shown, that are healthy, and that can start a good base for breeding. Open to hatching eggs as well.
Thanks for any input, I've really had a hard time with this, especially being a newbie.
Sincerely,
Rachael in Farmington, mn

Still hoping for any response. I have a few good BBS american orps to start, but was hoping to mix in some more lines. Would be willing to get chicks or eggs. Does anyone have any leads?

Back
Top Bottom