The amount of food I should feed my chicks.

Pics

tiffyme

Chirping
Jun 6, 2020
Hello, I have 3 healthy chicks ( about 3 weeks old) they dont like the "bird food" I give them
So i usually feed them vegetables, grains, rice and other seeds I like to mix these together so they'll get all the minerals they need in a day, however I'm not sure how much I should feed them. I usually fill a medium sized container twice a day.
Note: the chicks live in my front yard they usually get their first meal at 10am
And the last one which I make sure to fill before the sunset so they wouldn't be hungry in the morning.
Do you have any tips for me? Is there like an amount? Is what I feed them enough? Is it right to replace the "bird food"?
Note: The "bird food" is always there incase they get hungry and decide to eat it.

Hello, I have 3 healthy chicks ( about 3 weeks old) they dont like the "bird food" I give them
So i usually feed them vegetables, grains, rice and other seeds I like to mix these together so they'll get all the minerals they need in a day, however I'm not sure how much I should feed them. I usually fill a medium sized container twice a day.
Note: the chicks live in my front yard they usually get their first meal at 10am
And the last one which I make sure to fill before the sunset so they wouldn't be hungry in the morning.
Do you have any tips for me? Is there like an amount? Is what I feed them enough? Is it right to replace the "bird food"?
Note: The "bird food" is always there incase they get hungry and decide to eat it.
Can you please post a picture of the "bird food" you are feeding your chicks?
Basically, chicks should have access to a complete chick starter feed during all waking hours with fresh clean water always available. Feeding anything other than chick starter to chicks requires that you also offer chick grit on the side in a separate container. I would avoid feeding rice. Chicks really should just have chick starter but anything else they eat should be less than 10% by wt of their total diet.

Can you please post a picture of the "bird food" you are feeding your chicks?
Basically, chicks should have access to a complete chick starter feed during all waking hours with fresh clean water always available. Feeding anything other than chick starter to chicks requires that you also offer chick grit on the side in a separate container. I would avoid feeding rice. Chicks really should just have chick starter but anything else they eat should be less than 10% by wt of their total diet.
IMG_20200610_164145_598.jpg
IMG_20200610_164148_392.jpg
sorry that I dont have a proper picture of the packaging but this is how the seeds look like, also there is no information about the seed written in the package.
And about the fresh water, is changing the water bowl twice a day enough?

That looks like wild bird feed and not really nutritional for chickens. It's not really nutritional for birds and just a supplement to what they naturally forage. More or less bring them to your yard to look at.

Young chicks should have chick starter and it should be available to them all the time. The same thing with water.

That is actually better for them fresh is always better i would watch how much rice they get though i would add some corn and peas to your mix to mine love fresh peas

That looks like wild bird feed and not really nutritional for chickens. It's not really nutritional for birds and just a supplement to what they naturally forage. More or less bring them to your yard to look at.

Young chicks should have chick starter and it should be available to them all the time. The same thing with water.
Alright I'll try getting that food as soon as possible, can you please show me how does it look like. Because when my mom got the "bird seeds" they told her that chickens can eat it too

Vegetables, grains, and rice, all take away form the optimally designed nutrition of commercial available chick starter.

you are feeding them the equivalent of pop tarts.

this type of behavior has no place on a message board as informative as this one.

They really need chick starter and water at all times. That’s it. Small treats like a meal worm or grape sparingly and only if accompanied by chick grit.

This bird seed is OK for adult chickens to eat, but is not nutritious and will lead to stunted growth if they are denied appropriate nutrition. It’s a treat not dinner.

Trying to feed a non chick starter diet from other foods (greens, seeds) is an advanced skill in chicken keeping. Be sure that you’re an expert before you begin this undertaking.

Back
Top Bottom