The Ancona breeders thread

Hello Ancona thread. I have an 8 month th old Ancona who started laying at 5 months that and was consistent until 3 weeks ago, then nothing. She seems healthy and happy. The rest of our varies flock (free range by day, large clean coop at night) are healthy and laying well. Pie weather has definitely become cooler, days shorter, and three weeks ago we brought home some new chicks who are in brooder in coop. The Ancona's floppy red comb has retracted significantly and lightenend. Any ideas? It's like someone flipped a switch and turned off her eggs.

Hello
Hello Ancona thread. I have an 8 month th old Ancona who started laying at 5 months that and was consistent until 3 weeks ago, then nothing. She seems healthy and happy. The rest of our varies flock (free range by day, large clean coop at night) are healthy and laying well. Pie weather has definitely become cooler, days shorter, and three weeks ago we brought home some new chicks who are in brooder in coop. The Ancona's floppy red comb has retracted significantly and lightenend. Any ideas? It's like someone flipped a switch and turned off her eggs.

I am in the learning process of chickens. I was told when the days get shorter that sometimes they will decrease in laying. I was told to put a hanging light and turn it on before daylight and they will start laying more.
I'm gonna give it a try. Mine are at 6 months old this month. Now my Rhode Island Reds are prolific layers ..
Good luck with the egg production. Mine are also free range.
1f413.png

Not knowing what the rest of your flock is comprised of, different breeds have different habits. Some are good winter layers some are sporatic some seasonal. As a precaution i would pick her up and make sure her weight is good, and also that she is able to enjoy food, water and surrounding coop without harrasment. With the new chicks in the brooder she may be reacting as if they were hers, not really but in a sense. At least mine are not broodie even though i wish they would be occasionally….It would be interesting if there was a coralation between her and the new chicks…..How does she act around them ????

Hi,
Was just over at ebay. search Mottled Anconas. Some guy has a 3 pack of pamphlets from a mottled Ancona breeder. Includes breeding plans and results. who won, etc. looks real interesting. 1926, 27 and 28.
Best,
Karen

Last edited:
So we hatched some 300 this year. I hope to soon post pics for fellow Ancona people to enjoy. I hope that others are developing an interest in working on preserving this excellent breed. I am struck by the productivity, elegance, and hardiness of our strain. They are a joy to watch move about.

Hello all - I posted long ago, asking about my Ancona's comb becoming pale and shrunken. Turns out this happens during each molt. Egg laying stops, full molt takes several weeks, then all returns to normal. Her comb becomes bright red and floppy again, and her pretty white eggs return.

Back
Top Bottom