The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

Its quite difficult to estimate or guess what is on a F1 with hatchery stock and it would appear that Hatchery Sebrights have additional variables like Hf, hf+ and R,r+
I know. I was mainly just confused why the two fill siblings looked so different. The cockerel had 3 siblings matching him when they hatched, but 2 didn't make it and the 3rd was a FtT. The Golden one is the only one from that batch that hatched that way

If you crossed buff Orpingtons with BBS australorps and continued to breed the hybrids could you ever standardize color in the line to have both buff and BBS? Whether that be something like buff on top blue on bottom. Or just kind of mottled with buff and BBS?

I think you could eventually have them breed true for black with lots of buff leakage, or splash with lots of buff leakage, or black/blue/splash mix with lots of buff leakage on all of them.

I would start by crossing a Buff Orpington rooster to a Blue or Splash Australorp hen.

I think you could eventually have them breed true for black with lots of buff leakage, or splash with lots of buff leakage, or black/blue/splash mix with lots of buff leakage on all of them.

I would start by crossing a Buff Orpington rooster to a Blue or Splash Australorp hen.
I agree, but take the F1 and cross it back to Buff that way the Columbian restrictors acumulate and become homozygous

I apologize if this is too silly a question for you, but figured I would go straight to the expert.

My olive egger chick has a teeny extra toe growing out of the top of both her outer toes (would be the “pinky toes” were she human). She is from Mt. Healthy Hatcheries and is allegedly and F1 marans and ameraucana cross (not 100% which was the rooster vs hen).

Is that a sign of a 5-toed breed somewhere in her lineage, or just a “random” birth defect? I can try again later to get a photo - my camera doesn’t want to focus on a tiny, wiggly chicken foot. Plus she has lightly feathered feet, which make it harder to spot.

Anyway, just curious.

P.S. - read your intro to the thread, and can I just say that having read your MANY responses on BYC you seem to have excellent people skills in writing. You are considerate and patient when responding, at least every time I have read one of your posts.

I wouldn’t sell yourself short just because you struggle with reading body language or determining when someone else is being insincere. Anyway, that’s my perception at least.

I apologize if this is too silly a question for you, but figured I would go straight to the expert.

My olive egger chick has a teeny extra toe growing out of the top of both her outer toes (would be the “pinky toes” were she human). She is from Mt. Healthy Hatcheries and is allegedly and F1 marans and ameraucana cross (not 100% which was the rooster vs hen).

Is that a sign of a 5-toed breed somewhere in her lineage, or just a “random” birth defect? I can try again later to get a photo - my camera doesn’t want to focus on a tiny, wiggly chicken foot. Plus she has lightly feathered feet, which make it harder to spot.

Anyway, just curious.

P.S. - read your intro to the thread, and can I just say that having read your MANY responses on BYC you seem to have excellent people skills in writing. You are considerate and patient when responding, at least every time I have read one of your posts.

I wouldn’t sell yourself short just because you struggle with reading body language or determining when someone else is being insincere. Anyway, that’s my perception at least.
I am by far no genetics guru, so they can correct me if I misspeak, but I am pretty sure that type of extra toe scenario is a birth defect, not signs of mixed blood. I think toe issues like that can happen during incubation if there are any issues with the temps or humidity. I know that is also thought to be one reason for the crossbeak issues. I would think being a hatchery hatched baby, they don't always pick up on issues like incubation inconsistency as quickly as we do with our home incubators. She must be special :)

Back
Top Bottom