The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

Pics
I apologize if I seemed sarcastic in a previous post, I did not mean it like it must have sounded. I really, really am serious about learning about Chocolate genetics and if you would be so kind I want to ask a fw questions.?
I was so happy to have found you and look forward to conversating with you I feel terrible I screwed up the first thing i said!!! :th
Hey don't even worry about that. I did not even notice that. To be honest I don't understand sarcasm due to my Asperger Syndrome.

There are two mutations that can make a bird look Chocolate(both need to be based on Extended Black to be Self Chocolate). Sex linked Chocolate and Dun(I^d/i+ to be precise because I^d/I^d is the homozygous form and produces birds known as Khaki colored)

1. what potential chick colors could occur if a white roo who is the offspring of two black parents is bred to a paint hen?

2. What potential chick color would chicks look like if a lavender and a buff are bred? (first generation blue cream) And in 2nd generation & on to make blue creams what should the offspring be bred to (Lav or buff?)

3. What potential chick colors would chicks be if a lavender roo is bred to a white or a paint hen?

1. The male is recessive White based on a Extended Black background x Paint which are also based on Extended Black but with a single copy of dominant White. The result will be 50% Paint and 50% Extended Black, all of the will have recessive White in them hidden.

2. Lavender is Recessive based on Extended Black. I will assume the the Buff is a Self Buff and not Buff Columbian... The F1s will be extended black with lots of gold leakage on the breast and lower body. All of them will be split for lavender(Lav+/lav)

3. Lavender is Recessive based on Extended Black. x Paint which are also based on Extended Black but with a single copy of dominant White. The result will be 50% Paint and 50% Extended Black. All of them will be split for lavender(Lav+/lav)

Last edited:
Hey @nicalandia , thank you for sharing your extensive knowledge!

Was wondering if you had any tips on sexing New Hampshires at hatch? I found a few articles that say they are auto sexing and was wondering if you could shed some light on the differences to look for in male and female. Thanks!

Hey @nicalandia , thank you for sharing your extensive knowledge!

Was wondering if you had any tips on sexing New Hampshires at hatch? I found a few articles that say they are auto sexing and was wondering if you could shed some light on the differences to look for in male and female. Thanks!
I have no experience in raising NH and as far as I am aware they are not auto-sexing.

On a second note I was able to find this on the website and that might help

1650980823505.png

I have hatched a few Production Red chicks and that picture might have help me to sex the chicks aswell

Last edited:
Hey don't even worry about that. I did not even notice that. To be honest I don't understand sarcasm due to my Asperger Syndrome.

There are two mutations that can make a bird look Chocolate(both need to be based on Extended Black to be Self Chocolate). Sex linked Chocolate and Dun(I^d/i+ to be precise because I^d/I^d is the homozygous form and produces birds known as Khaki colored)
@ nicalandia

I think I am extremely thick headed on this. The only chart I originaly found was for the SL Chocolate and it seemed simple. I bred my black hens to my Chocolate rooster and got rainbow of colors, I was really confused! Two are blue, one is super white, 3 are Chocolate, one seems black and one is kind of penquine...... NOT like the chart, so I must beleive rooster is Dun????

@ nicalandia

I think I am extremely thick headed on this. The only chart I originaly found was for the SL Chocolate and it seemed simple. I bred my black hens to my Chocolate rooster and got rainbow of colors, I was really confused! Two are blue, one is super white, 3 are Chocolate, one seems black and one is kind of penquine...... NOT like the chart, so I must beleive rooster is Dun????
Pictures of both parents will help

Here are three birds, the rooster and two black hens, Thats ALL that live in this pen and all that ever have been in this pen.
Thank You!
That is a Silkie Rooster. They are Dun based. The hens also seem to be Silkie/silkie cross, many silkies(including mine) have recessive white hidden.

Pictures of the chicks would be nice

@nicalandia: Muchas gracias, muy agradecido.
Soy de Colombia.

1. Queremos pollos para incubar como la pluma de Welsummer (añadir imagen).
Tenemos gallos y gallinas de ninguna raza, llamados en Colombia “Criollos” (nativos), y queremos una línea específica: plumas como welsummer, huevo azul/EE y peso medio (No bantam, no grande/grande).
Es posible que en nuestra GRANJA queramos unos cuantos pollos con variedad de plumas, pero no entendemos mucho sobre la genética de los pollos.
Esta foto muestra más o menos, la pluma que buscaremos/queremos…
4C03C347-89A2-4923-9EEB-94B68263C777.jpg

¿Cómo funcionaría el cruce entre P0s?

2. Tenemos gallinas ameraucana y Marans… A roo F1 (Ameraucana x Maran) x EE gallina es = F2 Olive Egger's Hen? ¿Sus polluelos serán iguales en plumas y huevos?

3. ¿Cómo hacer gallinas como esta gallina (Jengibre Jacinta), de qué color de gallina es necesario?
A322292E-9DBA-4475-BB53-6F5DA23420A0.jpeg

4. Este fue Angellus. ¿Es azul?, ¿cómo lo obtendría? Está muerto… :'
1651006631607.jpeg

¡Gracias!

Attachments

• 1651006476924.jpeg
    1651006476924.jpeg
    120.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
That is a Silkie Rooster. They are Dun based. The hens also seem to be Silkie/silkie cross, many silkies(including mine) have recessive white hidden.

Pictures of the chicks would be nice
Yes the rooster is a Silkie, the hens are what they are calling Satins, everything about them Silkie except the barbless feathers. All the Silkie Chocolate charts are showing Sex Linked birds and that just does not fit what I am getting. I'll try for pics, mainly if i can determine if this rooster is a Dun based bird it would help me an awful lot.
Apparently he is...or I would not get this variety of colors. They are too young to determine sex.

Back
Top Bottom