The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

I thought people might be interested in seeing how the cockerels discussed in these posts grew out as they approach maturity. They were hatched on July 3rd so they're 14 weeks today.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/posts/26128480
https://www.backyardchickens.com/posts/26128522

1009221614c.jpg
1009221615.jpg
1009221615a.jpg
1009221615d.jpg
1009221615e.jpg

I'm astonished that Big Blue seems to have both gold and silver leakage.

Bielefelders...introduce more silver into there coloration and potentially a darker egg. I’d like to stay as true to there genetic make up as possible....

So help. What are some good barred silver birds with dark eggs.

How many generations would I be looking at to see change? Thoughts comments.
Cuckoo Marans.
Cuckoo Marans should work. They have white barring, just like Bielefelders do, so all the chicks will have white barring as well (even if I don't bother to mention it every time.)

Cross a Bielefelder with a Cuckoo Marans and you should get black chicks with white barring (and maybe some gold or silver leakage.) Then breed back to Bielefelder, and half of chicks will be black while the other half should have Bielefelder coloring (some gold-based, but some silver-based as well.)

The tricky part is that silver & gold are on the Z sex chromosome, so you have to pay a bit of attention to which gender birds you are crossing. Males have chromosomes ZZ (can have two silver, or two gold, or one of each), females have ZW (either silver or gold, but never both).

You can start with either pairing of breeds (Marans father or Bielefelder father), if you then choose a son to cross back to the Bielefelder (can give some silver chicks of both genders).

If you start with a Marans father, you can also choose a daughter to cross back to Bielefelder (can give silver sons, but can not give silver daughters.)

The only one to avoid: if you start with a Bielefelder father, then choose a daughter to breed to him, your chicks will be pure for gold, and you will not have the silver you were trying to add.

Last edited:
What is this Roo expressing and what would be a cool bread to mix with him? I have paint buff black Nn and A white sulton silky. Also I have Americanas EEs splash and blue and lavender olive eggers. This young Roo was dropped off to us and is extremely awesome ! And friendly ! I love his coloring but no idea his background. Could you recommend the best colored hen we like crazy off the wall coloring and love his blue ears !

Attachments

• 4BDE5797-DB3D-48FF-B19C-01A328C99955.jpeg
    4BDE5797-DB3D-48FF-B19C-01A328C99955.jpeg
    380.3 KB · Views: 5
  • DA9364F5-8E5D-4029-AF4F-F02148EE30A1.jpeg
    DA9364F5-8E5D-4029-AF4F-F02148EE30A1.jpeg
    909.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 0E901A06-CDB1-4C7C-B5E6-7BAA7E2635DB.jpeg
    0E901A06-CDB1-4C7C-B5E6-7BAA7E2635DB.jpeg
    329 KB · Views: 5
What is this Roo expressing and what would be a cool bread to mix with him? I have paint buff black Nn and A white sulton silky. Also I have Americanas EEs splash and blue and lavender olive eggers. This young Roo was dropped off to us and is extremely awesome ! And friendly !
Silver, Gold Split Columbian with blue. Also appears Fibro.

I thought people might be interested in seeing how the cockerels discussed in these posts grew out as they approach maturity. They were hatched on July 3rd so they're 14 weeks today.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/posts/26128480
https://www.backyardchickens.com/posts/26128522

View attachment 3286128View attachment 3286129View attachment 3286130View attachment 3286131View attachment 3286132

I'm astonished that Big Blue seems to have both gold and silver leakage.
cockerels when not pure they can carry both gold and silver S/s+ plus the Autossomal red genes . the autossomal red will affect the chest and shoulder coloration .
so we can have a cockerel with a pure sex linked silver gene S/S and Autossomal red . this cockerels will have pure silver hackle and lancet but orange type shoulder .there is few chooks breed with this colour pattern . Salmon faverolles is one of them .
1665363019220.png

chooks man

cockerels when not pure they can carry both gold and silver S/s+ plus the Autossomal red genes . the autossomal red will affect the chest and shoulder coloration .
so we can have a cockerel with a pure sex linked silver gene S/S and Autossomal red . this cockerels will have pure silver hackle and lancet but orange type shoulder .there is few chooks breed with this colour pattern . Salmon faverolles is one of them .
View attachment 3286292
chooks man

Thank you for explaining that. I had no idea how Big Blue could have both colors in his leakage.

Back
Top Bottom