The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

How does one breed out shafting? Doesnt all chickens have shafting?
Are you talking about the stippling/line on the shafts?
20220110_143305.jpg
20210323_154947.jpg

I dont know but so many people was telling me i need to not breed ones with shafting like this hen View attachment 3292715which im assuming is the line in the feathers
Are you breeding for show? If not I wouldn't worry about it.

I was just looking online at Show Quality Blue Laced Red Wyandottes, & all seem to have that stippling, some less prominent then others. I think it just has to do with the Red coloration.

Are you talking about the stippling/line on the shafts?

I was just looking online at Show Quality Blue Laced Red Wyandottes, & all seem to have that stippling, some less prominent then others. I think it just has to do with the Red coloration.
Shafting and stippling seem to be different things.

Some definitions copied from an article on this site:

"Shafting... is simply where the feather shaft is one color and the body (vane) of the feather is another."

"stippling, which appears as a very small pattern of dots on the surface of a feather"

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/my-feather-anatomy-guide.63572/

Shafting and stippling seem to be different things.

Some definitions copied from an article on this site:

"Shafting... is simply where the feather shaft is one color and the body (vane) of the feather is another."

"stippling, which appears as a very small pattern of dots on the surface of a feather"

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/my-feather-anatomy-guide.63572/
Weird, cause a few years ago someone commented on one of my Orpingtons about stippling, & the only thing was visible on the breasts was the shaft which were just a tad bit lighter then the rest of the feathers.

I know the anatomy of a feather, thanks though.

Weird, cause a few years ago someone commented on one of my Orpingtons about stippling, & the only thing was visible on the breasts was the shaft which were just a tad bit lighter then the rest of the feathers.
Then maybe that person was wrong?

I know the anatomy of a feather, thanks though.
That was the article I quoted from, so I put in the link in case anyone (you or otherwise) wanted to read anything else in it.

Back
Top Bottom