The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

I have read it is better to use a dark egg rooster over a blue egg hen when making olive eggers. I have the opposite, CCL roo and marans hen.
what differences can I expect? how could I create deeper olive or teal color eggs with this cross in future generations?

Nicalandia may be able to answer in more detail on this, but from my understanding some of the brown egg color genes are sexlinked, which is why it's better to use a male Marans and female Legbars. Female Marans can only pass those sexlinked genes to their sons, which means that their daughters with a Legbar rooster will not inherit them and therefore will not lay as deep of an olive-colored egg as females from the opposite crossing. Male Marans will pass those genes to both sons and daughters, so their daughters with Legbar hens get the benefit of the full 'dose' of brown egg color genes. As for how to improve that in future generations with the cross you have available, that's beyond what I'm confident I can accurately answer so I'll leave that to others.

Slight edit for more clarity.

Last edited:
Nicalandia may be able to answer in more detail on this, but from my understanding there are brown egg color genes that are sexlinked, which is why it's better to use a male Marans and female Legbars. Female Marans can only pass those sexlinked genes to their sons, which means that their daughters with a Legbar rooster will not inherit them and therefore will not lay as deep of an olive-colored egg as females from the opposite crossing. Male Marans will pass those genes to both sons and daughters, so their daughters with Legbar hens get the benefit of the full 'dose' of brown egg color genes. As for how to improve that in future generations with the cross you have available, that's beyond what I'm confident I can accurately answer so I'll leave that to others.

Thanks, I find this post very accurate and on point. While we don't know just how many mutations or alleles affect egg color, I believe there could be at least 12(by the way the offspring behave) and at least two of those are sex linked. Their input is about 10% total of the egg color so the reciprocal cross between a white/blue egg layer and a chocolate egg color will somewhat vary(meaning that the f1 hens from Dark egg Male vs White/Blue egg hen, will lay a darker shade) the difference is only 10% and might not be noticeable.

Okay, so from her I should expect black(ish) daughters and barred sons. What about the possible birchen you mentioned?
Birchen is one of the e alleles found on chickens, they hatch mostly black for reference Birchen Maran
1669730331664.png

Since birchen is dominant to all except extended black(E>ER>eWh>e+>eb) I don't know if she is pure for Birchen or heterozygous so if she is ER/eb(very likely) if you cross her with a rooster not black the chicks may end up with many patterns so sex linkage will not be visible for example if any of the rooster has wheaten and she is ER/eb, some of her chicks may end up being eWh/eb so basically yellow with no visible headspot

Birchen is one of the e alleles found on chickens, they hatch mostly black for reference Birchen Maran
View attachment 3335753

Since birchen is dominant to all except extended black(E>ER>eWh>e+>eb) I don't know if she is pure for Birchen or heterozygous so if she is ER/eb(very likely) if you cross her with a rooster not black the chicks may end up with many patterns so sex linkage will not be visible for example if any of the rooster has wheaten and she is ER/eb, some of her chicks may end up being eWh/eb so basically yellow with no visible headspot
She must be heterozygous since there aren't any females here that have it, and the white orpington is the only male that could have it.

I'm not specifically going to use her for sexlinking, but it would certainly be nice to know a few weeks in that the barred ones are male instead of waiting and getting more attached

Back
Top Bottom