The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

I won't be pleased if he starts turning white like your bird. He's supposed to be a Chocolate Cochin bantam, but he has white skin from the Chocolate Orpington bantams that they introduced the gene into the breed with, and his hatchmates have absolutely dreadful foot feathering. :rolleyes: Good thing they're cute and fit in well in my mixed flock.
Why? You could experiment with him, like I will be with my lady. She's done with her molt now, & looks like a Pied bird.

Last edited:
Why? You could experiment with him, like I will be with my lady. She's done with her molt now, & looks like a Pied bird.

He's had some leg issues I'd rather not pass on to offspring, specifically that his legs have twice now just stopped working properly for no apparent reason. Had he not recovered so quickly both times, I would have thought Marek's. I'm inclined to think he simply had a leg injury that he re-injured the second time around because the other cockerels were bullies to him growing up, but I'm not sure so I don't want to take that risk.

I also don't want to spread my focus too thin and my primary focus is on my silkied Cochin bantams for the time being. 🙂 If I had unlimited pen space to use, maybe, but what I have now is dedicated to them.

Seems Heterozygous for recessive mottling.

Ah, okay! I didn't know it would present like that. Thank you! 🙂

Seems Heterozygous for recessive mottling.
Wouldn't that usually cause Spangling on the breasts though?
20210920_150528.jpg
20200718_154036.jpg

He's had some leg issues I'd rather not pass on to offspring, specifically that his legs have twice now just stopped working properly for no apparent reason. Had he not recovered so quickly both times, I would have thought Marek's. I'm inclined to think he simply had a leg injury that he re-injured the second time around because the other cockerels were bullies to him growing up, but I'm not sure so I don't want to take that risk.

I also don't want to spread my focus too thin and my primary focus is on my silkied Cochin bantams for the time being. 🙂 If I had unlimited pen space to use, maybe, but what I have now is dedicated to them.

Ah, okay! I didn't know it would present like that. Thank you! 🙂
Could he just have a vitamin deficiency, or vertigo from an ear infection?

Could he just have a vitamin deficiency, or vertigo from an ear infection?

Hmm, maybe, but he's always been on the same feed as everyone else and no other birds have had any problems whatsoever. He also never had any symptoms beyond just not being able to put full weight on one or both legs even when supported. And that again makes me inclined not to breed him if he's particularly susceptible to those things to the extent that he was the only one having problems.

Hmm, maybe, but he's always been on the same feed as everyone else and no other birds have had any problems whatsoever. He also never had any symptoms beyond just not being able to put full weight on one or both legs even when supported. And that again makes me inclined not to breed him if he's particularly susceptible to those things to the extent that he was the only one having problems.
Probably won't hurt to add extra vitamins to the water, just to rule it out.

Back
Top Bottom