The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

@nicalandia are these dark shanks? (id+/id+)

They're closer views of the same rooster I thought was light, but you thought was dark. I definitely see light areas and darker areas, so I'm not sure how to interpret that.
Yes, very strange. Looks mottled. Perhaps his epidermis is dark and dermis light. this is how Sex link hens can have dark shanks while having Id(sex linked dermal inhibitor from RIR sire) their dark shanks are due to dark epidermal deposition from Extended black.

Can you help me figure out what the heck this color is, & the dad?

Laughing Chicken cross pullet.
20230621_093939.jpg
20230621_094006.jpg
20230621_094029.jpg
20230621_094039.jpg
20230621_094156.jpg
20230621_094055.jpg
20230621_094136.jpg

Mother, is Red Duckwing.
20220915_133649.jpg

I know the dad's aren't these guy's.
20210909_142900.jpg
20211115_140644.jpg
20221231_101123.jpg
20211007_150535.jpg
VideoCapture_20230105-130654.jpg
20221128_111606.jpg
Remaining Possible Dads.
007, my Khaki Silkie
20220922_134901.jpg
My Colorful Easter Egger.
20210221_141940.jpg

Can you help me figure out what the heck this color is, & the dad?
...I know the dad's aren't these guy's.
...Remaining Possible Dads.

007, my Khaki Silkie
My Colorful Easter Egger.

I think the Easter Egger is a more likely father than the Silkie (because of the un-feathered feet and the number of toes). Growing a beard would prove that the father must be bearded.

But if the chick grows a crest, that would prove the Easter Egger cannot be the father and the Silkie is.

You did not state how you ruled out each of the other roosters, so I can't easily tell whether you made any mistakes there. I can see that a double-barred rooster is not going to sire an unbarred chick, but it's not so obvious (to me) why you ruled out some of the others. (Of course you would know which were penned apart for how long before the egg was laid, which could rule them out quite nicely but would not show in photos.)

I think the Easter Egger is a more likely father than the Silkie (because of the un-feathered feet and the number of toes). Growing a beard would prove that the father must be bearded.

But if the chick grows a crest, that would prove the Easter Egger cannot be the father and the Silkie is.

You did not state how you ruled out each of the other roosters, so I can't easily tell whether you made any mistakes there. I can see that a double-barred rooster is not going to sire an unbarred chick, but it's not so obvious (to me) why you ruled out some of the others. (Of course you would know which were penned apart for how long before the egg was laid, which could rule them out quite nicely but would not show in photos.)
Malays I've ruled out due to their walnut combs, & my Marans/American Game cross boy is a Dominant White, Wheaten/Birchen split, with light feathered legs. He's given me a white chick with black specks from my Heritage Plymouth Barred Rock hen recently.

Scaredy, my Silkie rooster is also pure for walnut comb.

I can tell the chick is beardless, but will update if there's a crest, though not all Silkie crosses have that trait.

I know that not all Silkie crosses have crest, feathered feet, or 5th toes. Just pointing out that a crested chick would rule out all non-crested parents, leaving only the Silkie as a possible father.

Malays I've ruled out due to their walnut combs,
It is possible to get a single comb chick from a father with a walnut comb, if the walnut comb is P/p+ and R/r+

But if you know they are pure PP or RR or both, then I agree they cannot produce a chick with a single comb.

Scaredy, my Silkie rooster is also pure for walnut comb.

Then I agree that rules him out too.

my Marans/American Game cross boy is a Dominant White, Wheaten/Birchen split, with light feathered legs. He's given me a white chick with black specks from my Heritage Plymouth Barred Rock hen recently.
Do you know if he is heterozygous Dominant White or homozygous Dominant White?
What leg color from the American Game side of the cross?

Because if he is split for Dominant White/not, then depending on the leg color genes he might also be able to produce a chick like the one you showed.

I know that not all Silkie crosses have crest, feathered feet, or 5th toes. Just pointing out that a crested chick would rule out all non-crested parents, leaving only the Silkie as a possible father.

It is possible to get a single comb chick from a father with a walnut comb, if the walnut comb is P/p+ and R/r+

But if you know they are pure PP or RR or both, then I agree they cannot produce a chick with a single comb.

Then I agree that rules him out too.

Do you know if he is heterozygous Dominant White or homozygous Dominant White?
What leg color from the American Game side of the cross?

Because if he is split for Dominant White/not, then depending on the leg color genes he might also be able to produce a chick like the one you showed.
He's White Shanked, but maybe split for yellow.

His previous offspring.
20200617_205436.jpg
20200617_205142.jpg
20200519_092537.jpg
No baby picture for the last one.
20211027_150627.jpg

Back
Top Bottom