The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

I was sold this rooster and this hen as genetic hackle, the hen came from a mom that looked just like her which was in a pen with very light, Almost White male roosters with thin black barring. The rooster is admitted Maybe 25 to 75% genetic hackle. What would their chicks look like certain color and feathering. The last photo is The Offspring of the rooster and a Miller fluer duccle hen.
Well out of I think three of her own eggs. She has only hatched out one. Who has turned out to be a rooster and it turns out he looks just like her, as far as barring is concerned. Who knows if in maturity he will pick up any of the traits of his father in his orange coloring

Attachments

• 0621232234_HDR.jpg
    0621232234_HDR.jpg
    500.9 KB · Views: 11
Is a floppy comb hard to breed out?

This is about the Smurf (blue face) project.
I have 2 boys to pick from out of the WFBS hatch. They're 7 weeks old tomorrow and funny little birds. One of the two boys has been squeak crowing since 4 weeks 😂
He (Dumbo) has the best ears so far... almost twice the size of his brother. But he also has a huge floppy comb that is kinda thick and odd.
His brother Bandit has a very standard looking comb but smaller ears.
The breeder blended US stock (1/4) with imported lines (3/4), so that may be part of the reason for the big difference between the boys.
I can give them a couple more months to see how they both develop, but I'm going to have to choose a winner to be part of my Smurf project.
So far, I really favor Dumbo... his ears and his dorky little personality that really fits his name. 😘
Is his comb a big problem?
The Mosaics have straight combs too, but smaller.
I plan to put the Mosaic roo with the 2 WFBS girls, and the WFBS roo with the 2 best Mosaic girls. Then cross the offspring of those 2 pens. That way I can double the desired genes without an actual sibling pairing, and it will be interesting to see if there's any difference in the trait inheritance.

Is a floppy comb hard to breed out?

This is about the Smurf (blue face) project.
I have 2 boys to pick from out of the WFBS hatch. They're 7 weeks old tomorrow and funny little birds. One of the two boys has been squeak crowing since 4 weeks 😂
He (Dumbo) has the best ears so far... almost twice the size of his brother. But he also has a huge floppy comb that is kinda thick and odd.
His brother Bandit has a very standard looking comb but smaller ears.
The breeder blended US stock (1/4) with imported lines (3/4), so that may be part of the reason for the big difference between the boys.
I can give them a couple more months to see how they both develop, but I'm going to have to choose a winner to be part of my Smurf project.
So far, I really favor Dumbo... his ears and his dorky little personality that really fits his name. 😘
Is his comb a big problem?
The Mosaics have straight combs too, but smaller.
I plan to put the Mosaic roo with the 2 WFBS girls, and the WFBS roo with the 2 best Mosaic girls. Then cross the offspring of those 2 pens. That way I can double the desired genes without an actual sibling pairing, and it will be interesting to see if there's any difference in the trait inheritance.
Big Floppy combs can be bred out. Either cull all that are produced with the floppy comb, or breed to birds with smaller combs.
I'm just not sure if the trait is a recessive, dominant, or bred in though. I know single combs are recessive, just not certain on the large size being so.

Is it possible to cross breed and eventually get a silkied ko shamo? With the body and build of a ko shamo but with hookless feathers? And what would be the steps to achieve this.
Yes.
I was actually thinking about attempting to add Silkie plumage to Malays to see what they'd look like.

You'd take your F1s, from different parents if wanted, & breed them together to get some with silkied feathers. Silkie feathering is recessive.
You'll have to cull for things you don't want, like Crest, Fibromelanosis, 5 toes, Feathered feet, & beard, if bearded.

Only breed from those with the traits you want.

Yes.
I was actually thinking about attempting to add Silkie plumage to Malays to see what they'd look like.

You'd take your F1s, from different parents if wanted, & breed them together to get some with silkied feathers. Silkie feathering is recessive.
You'll have to cull for things you don't want, like Crest, Fibromelanosis, 5 toes, Feathered feet, & beard, if bearded.

Only breed from those with the traits you want.
Would you breed with a ko shamo rooster or the hen?

Back
Top Bottom