The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

Ok so next question for me today is. I got this hen from tractor supply a few years ago. I just can’t remember what the breed is? I know it’s cross. I also know it has pearl in the name. Can anyone tell me? Here is a picture.View attachment 3551845
Looks like Hoovers has something called a Smoky Pearl, could that be it?

The comb and wattles are too large and too dark. Mosaics are partially fibro, that allows lighter skin on top of dark skin, so it shines through blue instead of black.
The pictured hen looks paint to me rather than patterned.
Mosaics look like the normal Fibro to me.
Screenshot_20230622-162304_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230622-162333_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230622-162401_Chrome.jpg
One of my Fibros. Not a Mosiac.
20230520_111901.jpg

The comb and wattles are too large and too dark. Mosaics are partially fibro, that allows lighter skin on top of dark skin, so it shines through blue instead of black.
The pictured hen looks paint to me rather than patterned.
A lot of the mosaics running around now are very dark. Mine are about a purple mulberry. There isn't much work to keep them rrue to the skin color they were supposed to have

@nicalandia
I know you said Birchen brown red, but it's the coloration I was wanting to know.
What would you call this? Doesn't look right for blue.
My black Sumatra cross for black, next to chick in question.
20230622_163332.jpg
20230622_163428.jpg
Got more pictures if needed. Also can get more too.

Mosaics look like the normal Fibro to me.

You always post too many pictures. It's hard to pick any single image to respond to.

Mosaics are not an officially recognized breed, but there are a group of breeders working towards that goal. They shouldn't be bred any which way and still use the name.
Mosaics must have blue ears. But blue ears don't make a Mosaic (Silkies, etc.).
The feathers should be patterned with white - the exact look is still in flux.
They have green legs. Blue skin. Blue beaks. Small straight combs.

Fibro is interesting to work with. I have some homebred fibro eggers that came out dark as night everywhere from Mosaic x Black Ams. Kinda cool. Also lots of sheen, reinforcing the idea that ACs were used heavily in Mosaics.

I would hazard a guess that the question askers hen is AC x Leghorn, based on the heterozygous dominant white, and the strong fibro expression.

Back
Top Bottom