The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

Sorry if I dont coment on those chicks, I am tired and dont have the strength to coment on what are basically mongrels.
Only needed an answer for the one chick, but that's okay.
Trying to determine whether the Easter Egger is the father, or my Khaki Silkie.

Hope you get better sleep.

Only needed an answer for the one chick, but that's okay.
Trying to determine whether the Easter Egger is the father, or my Khaki Silkie.

I don't mean to pile on, but the easy answer is that if you want to know the parentage of birds, you should breed with a solitary rooster in each pen. A bit more planning at the front of things makes for a much easier time at the end.
Also, couldn't these picture heavy inquiries go in your own thread? No one else gets to ask Nicalandia anything without being redeemed from 3 pages back after your posts and follow-ups, if we even get noticed at all :(

I don't mean to pile on, but the easy answer is that if you want to know the parentage of birds, you should breed with a solitary rooster in each pen. A bit more planning at the front of things makes for a much easier time at the end.
Also, couldn't these picture heavy inquiries go in your own thread? No one else gets to ask Nicalandia anything without being redeemed from 3 pages back after your posts and follow-ups, if we even get noticed at all :(
I would love to separate birds, out into separate pens, but I'm limited at the moment. So I have to do things differently.

I don't mean to take up pages. I don't get notifications all the time either, actually. Happened alot recently.

Hi 👋
hoping for some help
Does anyone know how to select the correct genes for Bobtail (bantam cochin) on the genetics calculator?
Maybe could screenshot the example ?

Or know what a bobtail rooster over a birchen hen would produce ?

Thankyou
Bobtail cochin genetics are currently unknown, but we know that its recessive, likely an allelic mutation of recessive white like Opal OEGB which would make it Autosomal in nature Or recessive sex link. So far no one has been able to sequence their genetic make up.

Bobtail cochin genetics are currently unknown, but we know that its recessive, likely an allelic mutation of recessive white like Opal OEGB which would make it Autosomal in nature Or recessive sex link. So far no one has been able to sequence their genetic make up.
Thankyou.
Do you know what bobtail with birchen would possibly make ?
I’m trying to improve the body type of the birchen I do have. If I take the best rooster chick from BobtailxBirchen crossing and breed them back to the birchen hens, I should end up with some birchen, correct ?
Or is there no way to know without actually doing it?

Thankyou.
Do you know what bobtail with birchen would possibly make ?
I’m trying to improve the body type of the birchen I do have. If I take the best rooster chick from BobtailxBirchen crossing and breed them back to the birchen hens, I should end up with some birchen, correct ?
Or is there no way to know without actually doing it?
Bobtail x Birchen will give you all Birchen.

Would a Blue X Dominant White have the same results as a Dominant White X Black?
Asking cuz out of all the Silkies I picked out that looked like they maybe Khaki, has blueish/Grey Splashes. Or can Khaki act that way? Still learning as much as I can about it.

Assuming the dominant white parent is pure for the gene, dominant white x blue would produce roughly equal numbers of paint and blue paint offspring.

While the dun gene is partially dominant like blue and thus its inheritance can be summed up in the same way, its similarities stop there. Khaki, while the dun equivalent of blue's splash, doesn't have flecks like splash does and instead is an even coloring overall that may be darker or lighter depending on the presence or absence of melanizers.

Would a Blue X Dominant White have the same results as a Dominant White X Black?
Asking cuz out of all the Silkies I picked out that looked like they maybe Khaki, has blueish/Grey Splashes. Or can Khaki act that way? Still learning as much as I can about it.

Don't know anything about Khaki, but my Blue Australorps rooster x my California White hens have produced Blue or Black or White with either little flecks of color or actual paint markings (since CWs carry Barring as well as Dominant White). It should be possible to get single-barred males from this cross in either black or blue, but I haven't yet.

Back
Top Bottom