The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

Thank you.
Here's one site I found that shows Novogen strains.

(I'll have to look up red sex link.)

The hatcheries selling them say that they are indeed red sex links. That means that they're a crossbreed so they won't breed true.

That doesn't mean that if you did get both sexes you couldn't breed them and get a bird with many of the same qualities that you value, but they wouldn't be the same breed. :)

So how common is it to have a self blue chick with a lot of yellow down? I’ve never had a self blue chick that wasn’t solid self blue at hatch. Any that have had yellow down have been mottled or barred or very light blue. The only thing that makes sense is that this chick is self blue, but I’m curious anyway 🙃 Can the mottled gene mess with the chick down?

Parents -
Roosters: Black Mottled and Black
Hens: Black, Black Mottled, and one Self Blue

Baby that just hatched:
8DB59632-8021-4A3D-8217-4D09592CA828.jpeg

6AA66F3B-7BD3-4BAD-90C8-FBD1798BEB41.jpeg

Needless to say, I was surprised to get this chick because neither rooster was known to be split for anything…however the breeder I got the Black Mottled from DOES have porcelains as well, so guessing he’d be the split!

Split Mottled chicks have patches of yellow down, so if the father is the Black Mottled and he's split to Lav, and the mom is the Lav, this would make sense.

My project chicks from my Black Mottled Orp hatched in all sorts of fun colors, turned out he's split to Lav and Chocolate, and some of the hens are split to Lav. All of the split to Mottled chicks had a lot of white, and abundant spots until their second-to-last juvenile molt, but now they're all black. 🙃

Split Mottled chicks have patches of yellow down, so if the father is the Black Mottled and he's split to Lav, and the mom is the Lav, this would make sense.

My project chicks from my Black Mottled Orp hatched in all sorts of fun colors, turned out he's split to Lav and Chocolate, and some of the hens are split to Lav. All of the split to Mottled chicks had a lot of white, and abundant spots until their second-to-last juvenile molt, but now they're all black. 🙃
Thank you! This is helpful :) I’m super excited because my self blue rooster that I do have has terrible type and feathering and the black mottled is a lovely boy. This means I don’t have to work AS hard for better self blues! Yay! 😍 Split for lavender and chocolate!! That’s a fun surprise! 😍

Hi there. I'm keen to know if there are any breeds or colours/patterns of breeds, which are known to carry the dun gene. I wish to attempt the creation of a new breed over many years and before I start, I wish to experiment with various dilutants/inhibitors of black. On my radar are lavender, dun, dominant white and blue splash. It's the homozygous phenotype which is important to me.

So how common is it to have a self blue chick with a lot of yellow down? I’ve never had a self blue chick that wasn’t solid self blue at hatch. Any that have had yellow down have been mottled or barred or very light blue. The only thing that makes sense is that this chick is self blue, but I’m curious anyway 🙃 Can the mottled gene mess with the chick down?

Parents -
Roosters: Black Mottled and Black
Hens: Black, Black Mottled, and one Self Blue

Baby that just hatched:
View attachment 3600855
View attachment 3600856
Needless to say, I was surprised to get this chick because neither rooster was known to be split for anything…however the breeder I got the Black Mottled from DOES have porcelains as well, so guessing he’d be the split!
The ones I got from Cackle that where self blue(lavender) Orpingtons had alot of yellow and ended up being mottled.

Hi there. I'm keen to know if there are any breeds or colours/patterns of breeds, which are known to carry the dun gene. I wish to attempt the creation of a new breed over many years and before I start, I wish to experiment with various dilutants/inhibitors of black. On my radar are lavender, dun, dominant white and blue splash. It's the homozygous phenotype which is important to me.

Ideal Poultry has these:
https://www.idealpoultry.com/product/1587/106
They are called "Fawn Silver Duckwing Old English Bantams," and the description says that dilution gene is also called dun. So that would be one breed/color, and one possible source for them.

Ideal Poultry has these:
https://www.idealpoultry.com/product/1587/106
They are called "Fawn Silver Duckwing Old English Bantams," and the description says that dilution gene is also called dun. So that would be one breed/color, and one possible source for them.
Thankyou so much. I'm in the UK but I will definitely check that out and see where it leads me. Much obliged indeed 🥰

@nicalandia
Apologies if you've already posted such an answer - I'm not through the thread yet; you're a popular fellow ;)
I thought I'd just go ahead and ask for your expertise seeing as I still have the question -

When I originally bought my foundation stock of Blue Plymouth Rocks, I'm fairly certain I was sold birds crossed on the e-locus. (At a poorly-informed guess, I think it was E/eb. That was a while ago, before I got my head around some of these fascinating genetics, and those birds are no longer around for visual reference. Now that I know more, there was far too much ground-color visible for E/E.)
How would I determine, via adult feathering and/or chick down, the difference among crosses?
- Given E/ER, E/eb, E/e+, or ER/eb, would it be possible to readily identify which bird carried what?

Back
Top Bottom