The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

A bearded rooster could produce a muffed chick.

Ah, that makes sense.

Yes, it is quite likely that your Polish is the father.

A Silkie-RIR cross would most likely have feathered feet, with an extra toe on each foot (assuming the Silkie rooster has feathered feet with the extra toe on each one.)

Silkie-cross chicks have normal feathers (not silkie feathers) if one parent gives a gene for normal feathers (which the Rhode Island Red hen would definitely do.)

The chick will probably have a crest, but that does not tell us much if both possible fathers have crests.

The chick's comb type may help figure out the father, because it is likely to match the father's comb (Polish and Silkie both have comb types that are dominant over the single comb of the Rhode Island Red mother.)
My Silkie roo has feathered feet and an extra toe. The chick's comb is just starting to sprout and I can barely see it so I am not sure on what it looks like. Sounds like I was mistaken and her father may be my Polish. I will keep an eye on her and keep y'all updated! Thanks for your help NatJ!

Are good quality silkies supposed to have feathers on all their toes?
This is my first white silkie chick from my birds.
D027464B-8FB4-449E-A166-B4F24618A86A.jpeg
3A56EEE5-1184-48C7-BC0C-9F199B54A7FE.jpeg

Hi Nic, please help identify the genotype. planning to purchase this asil rooster, seller's photo. He is S/S ilver, Co or Db if birchen included, correct? can the e-locus be identified if duckwing, wheaten, partridge or birchen? Thanks. The tail color is a mystery to me what gene would cause such color? already asked if seller has pics of the parents; waiting for reply.

View attachment 3604784
View attachment 3604785
Looks like he maybe Platinum. Platinum is created by breeding Dun X Blue.

Dun is produced by 1 copy of the Khaki gene.

Correct me if I'm wrong, still learning about the color.
Khaki is a mutation in the dominant white Allele. Dun, & Platinum are both created by the Khaki gene.

Khaki - I^d/I^d

Dun - I^d/i+

Platinum - I^d/I+, Bl/bl+

Khaki behaves like Splash, in a way.

Back
Top Bottom