The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

Quick question:

I have a Rhode Island Red Bantam pullet named Ruby and she makes the sweetest, cutest noises ever (not to mention her appearance is the cutest ever in general). It sounds like the mix of a regular chicken noise but it is drawn out and almost sounds like she's crying. I really wish I could always have a Rhode Island Red Bantam with that voice, so I thought about something: hypothetically (since I don't have the room or time for breeding), could I get a Rhode Island Red Bantam cockerel and breed him with Ruby, and some of the chicks would come out with a similar voice as Ruby? I'm not sure if there is a lot of information on voice genetics, but I know some breeds are bred for their long crowing, laughing crowing, and deep voices.
I'm unsure if @NatJ or @nicalandia saw this. No rush, though!

I'm unsure if @NatJ or @nicalandia saw this. No rush, though!
I did see that one about the Rhode Island Red bantam with the unusual voice, but I do not know anything about what genetics might be involved, or if it even caused by genes at all.

At a very basic level, for any trait you want to reproduce:
--hatch chicks from the chicken that has the trait, and see if they have it. (Generally works if the trait is caused by a dominant gene, or sometimes works if the trait is caused by two or three dominant genes.)

--If no chicks have the trait, breed a chick back to the parent that does have the trait, and see if that produces any chicks with the trait. (Generally works if the trait is caused by a single recessive gene, or if you hatch large numbers of chicks it can work for a trait caused by two or three recessive genes. If the trait requires both recessive and dominant genes, this method will typically work for that too, but the more genes involved, the more chicks you need to hatch to get some that show the trait.)

If that still does not give any chicks with the trait, either it is genetically complicated (more than about 2 or 3 genes involved), or it is not controlled by genes at all (like if you had a chicken with unusually short toes because they lost the tips to frostbite: they do not carry genes for shorter-than-usual toes.)

I did see that one about the Rhode Island Red bantam with the unusual voice, but I do not know anything about what genetics might be involved, or if it even caused by genes at all.

At a very basic level, for any trait you want to reproduce:
--hatch chicks from the chicken that has the trait, and see if they have it. (Generally works if the trait is caused by a dominant gene, or sometimes works if the trait is caused by two or three dominant genes.)

--If no chicks have the trait, breed a chick back to the parent that does have the trait, and see if that produces any chicks with the trait. (Generally works if the trait is caused by a single recessive gene, or if you hatch large numbers of chicks it can work for a trait caused by two or three recessive genes. If the trait requires both recessive and dominant genes, this method will typically work for that too, but the more genes involved, the more chicks you need to hatch to get some that show the trait.)

If that still does not give any chicks with the trait, either it is genetically complicated (more than about 2 or 3 genes involved), or it is not controlled by genes at all (like if you had a chicken with unusually short toes because they lost the tips to frostbite: they do not carry genes for shorter-than-usual toes.)
Thank you! it would be interesting to breed her.

what gene makes the floofy head in the silkies, and how can I get it in my barnyard mix chicks?
The crest gene is what you need. You can get it from any chicken with a crest (Silkie, Polish, Houdan, Cream Legbar, Brabanter, Spitzhauben, etc.) Some breeds have different shapes of crest than others, and your own mixes may have different crest shapes yet.

I should have known it wouldn’t be that simple haha.

This is his leg coloring up closer - they’re definitely NOT slate…but not pinkish/mottled like I get in my other EEs

View attachment 3675813
So splash in Amerauana have this type of leg. Its still slate but can be pink freckled and I think its due to the dilution from double blue gene.

Hello everyone.
I wanted to ask about the color of the offspring of some crossed breeds.
If I cross a black or lavender Australorp rooster to a red or brown Aseel hen and keep two hens.
Cross an Isabella Leghorn rooster to brown or gold wheaten araucana and keep two roosters.
Then cross them together what will the color of the chicks be?
what color should I choose everytime so the color of the offspring is the same?

Hi @NatJ and/or @nicalandia

Can you say if black x quail will cause leakage in the F1s? I am looking to acquire some hens that are quail and I only have black roosters, so I'm wondering if that is an okay crossing that won't cause me issues? I know that the F1s would all be black, but just wanting to understand the ramifications!

Thanks!

@nicalandia & All,

I am needing a black LF Cochin roo to cover black and blue hens this upcoming season. I have found a roo within reasonable distance of travel, but I am worried about his silver leakage (head to neck only) being a trait that is dominant and it's impact in his offspring. Can you advise if it is recessive or dominant gene? Any experience on this topic with LF Cochins is appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom