The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

If you have silver laced Wyandotte with a gold gene, how does one go about breeding out the gold gene?
Hens cannot be Silver Laced if they have the gold gene. Either they have silver or they have gold, but not both. (Because silver or gold is on the Z sex chromosome, and hens have ZW. With only one Z chromosome, they only have one silver or gold gene.)

Roosters could be Silver Laced but carrying gold (two Z sex chromosomes, so they can have two silver, or two gold, or one of each.)

For hens, to "breed out" the gold gene, just choose hens that show silver. Project complete.

For roosters, breed them to silver hens. Keep silver daughters (not gold ones), and for sons you want to keep the ones with the nicest looking Silver coloring (because they are less likely to be carrying the gold gene.) If a particular rooster produces any gold daughters, you know he carries the gold gene. If a different rooster produces lots of silver daughters and no gold daughters, he is probably pure for the silver gene. Once you find enough roosters that are pure for the silver gene, and you have some silver hens, you can just breed from them and the gold gene should never appear again unless you re-introduce it.

Last edited:
I'm getting ready to put some of my fertile chicken eggs in the incubator. My rooster is a lavender Americana/ black copper Marans cross.... I'm curious as to what colors you think they will be? I'm assuming most of them will either be black or blue. In addition, any idea what color eggs they might lay if they are hens?
With that rooster (cross of Lavender Americauna/Black Copper Marans), I would expect black chicks from the Rhode Island Red and Black copper marans hens.

From the hens with blue, I would expect half of chicks to be black and the other half of chicks to be blue. That would be the hens of these breeds:
Blue Australorp
Blue copper marans
Blue Plymouth Rock
Blue laced red Wyandotte

From the Barred Rock hens, I would expect sexlink chicks: daughters black, sons black with white barring. At hatch, the sons will have a light spot on top of their head when they hatch.

For the color eggs:
Half of the daughters should lay blue or green eggs (darker green if their mothers laid darker brown eggs, lighter green or blue if their mothers laid lighter brown/cream/white eggs.)
The other half of the daughters should lay eggs that are brown, cream, or white (darker if the mothers laid darker, lighter if the mothers laid lighter.)

The daughters will not lay eggs that exactly match how dark their mothers' eggs were, because they also inherit egg color genes from the father. He probably has dark-egg genes from the Marans and lighter egg genes from the Ameraucana, and could give any combination of that to the chicks. So some chicks will lay lighter eggs than their mothers did, and some will lay darker eggs than their mothers, and a few might match what their mothers laid.

With that rooster (cross of Lavender Americauna/Black Copper Marans), I would expect black chicks from the Rhode Island Red and Black copper marans hens.

From the hens with blue, I would expect half of chicks to be black and the other half of chicks to be blue. That would be the hens of these breeds:
Blue Australorp
Blue copper marans
Blue Plymouth Rock
Blue laced red Wyandotte

From the Barred Rock hens, I would expect sexlink chicks: daughters black, sons black with white barring. At hatch, the sons will have a light spot on top of their head when they hatch.

For the color eggs:
Half of the daughters should lay blue or green eggs (darker green if their mothers laid darker brown eggs, lighter green or blue if their mothers laid lighter brown/cream/white eggs.)
The other half of the daughters should lay eggs that are brown, cream, or white (darker if the mothers laid darker, lighter if the mothers laid lighter.)

The daughters will not lay eggs that exactly match how dark their mothers' eggs were, because they also inherit egg color genes from the father. He probably has dark-egg genes from the Marans and lighter egg genes from the Ameraucana, and could give any combination of that to the chicks. So some chicks will lay lighter eggs than their mothers did, and some will lay darker eggs than their mothers, and a few might match what their mothers laid.
Thank you so much!

I know the original poster isn’t active anymore so this is a general question for anyone who knows about chicken genetics. How do I start learning?? I’d love to start learning now, I’m currently a bio student who wants to pursue studies in poultry behavior and genetics

I know the original poster isn’t active anymore so this is a general question for anyone who knows about chicken genetics. How do I start learning?? I’d love to start learning now, I’m currently a bio student who wants to pursue studies in poultry behavior and genetics
I'm pretty sure that's been asked before in this thread...[searches]...

This post has some suggestions:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...alandia-thread.1509343/page-281#post-26523047
(The later part of that post, after the second quote.)

What color legs does my brown red jap have? Slate or green?

Attachments

• E6739330-5703-4324-918D-09AF8549F95C.jpeg
    E6739330-5703-4324-918D-09AF8549F95C.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 5
This is the thread to ask anything related to genetics to me. I have Asperger's syndrome. I have poor social skills and can't understand sarcasm so science/numbers/genetics have come very easy to understand.

Ask away.
thank you in advance

may i ask what i get from white G. jersey rooster cross jubilee orpington.... colors and body shape?

Her main body was a really light yellow! Unfortunately I can't find any baby pics.

Actually, thinking back, she was a bit odd as a baby - I went to a local farm to pick out a few "Ameraucana/Leghorn mix" chicks (terrible biosecurity protocol, as I now know), and most of the chicks in the brooder were lavender or blue, a lot with obvious little muffs. She was the only chipmunk chick so I said hey why not, she'll add another feather colour to my little flock. There were also a bunch of guinea keets (an obvious different shape) zooming around in the same brooder and when I asked to see Tansy the farmer thought she was another keet at first. I've never considered it but I do doubt she would be a hybrid because she looks 100% Chicken. Howwwever, when I eventually introduced her and the blue puffy cheeked chicks to the rest of my baby flock they all accepted the blues and HATED on Tansy for weeks for no apparent reason. At first I thought she must be a roo because the obvious little boys of the group would challenge/chase her constantly. Now everyone's happy together, but it was so odd at the time.
Ok, if her main body color was yellow, she's a wheaten based bird and she has a patterning gene, but I can't say more than that...

Back
Top Bottom