The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

Ok, if her main body color was yellow, she's a wheaten based bird and she has a patterning gene, but I can't say more than that...
I think after looking at various pictures of "chipmunk chicks" that her light yellow colour was closest to what silver duckwing chicks look like. Her patterns also seem to match up with hens with silver duckwing colouring, minus the base underneath (?). I'm not sure if that's possible or, if it is, what it would look like on the Genetics Calculator. Thoughts?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240204-091401.png
    Screenshot_20240204-091401.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20240204-091804.jpg
    Screenshot_20240204-091804.jpg
    333.3 KB · Views: 4
Will it pass on through generations?

If it is just caused by having white earlobes and dark skin, then yes it will be passed on.

I don't think anyone has figured out quite how the genetics of white vs. red earlobes work, but they are definitely inherited in some way (proven by the fact that some breeds have just the one, some have just the other, and mixes can have red or white or some combination.)

The dark skin is known to be caused by a particular gene: a recessive on the Z sex chromosome. Inheritance is the same as any of the other recessives on that chromosome (gold, or not-barred, fast feathering, chocolate.) Light skin is the dominant trait, like silver or barring or slow feathering or not-chocolate.

If it is just caused by having white earlobes and dark skin, then yes it will be passed on.

I don't think anyone has figured out quite how the genetics of white vs. red earlobes work, but they are definitely inherited in some way (proven by the fact that some breeds have just the one, some have just the other, and mixes can have red or white or some combination.)

The dark skin is known to be caused by a particular gene: a recessive on the Z sex chromosome. Inheritance is the same as any of the other recessives on that chromosome (gold, or not-barred, fast feathering, chocolate.) Light skin is the dominant trait, like silver or barring or slow feathering or not-chocolate.
Ok thanks, he is light skinned

Back
Top Bottom