The Austrolorp thread

Is this thread dead????
1f630.png

I did alot of research, and chose these because of their egg production. Also I have seen over and over that they are very Harry, and docile and I have a toddler at home, so that's a plus

I did alot of research, and chose these because of their egg production. Also I have seen over and over that they are very Harry, and docile and I have a toddler at home, so that's a plus

A lot of people are unaware that a Black Australorp holds the laying record for a brown egg layer with 364 eggs in 365 days (it was the record for any layer until it was broken by a caged White Leghorn in 1979). And while my Australorps have never had that kind of production (and likely never will), I have had a few of them over the years exceed 300 eggs in a year.

New to Austrolorp . Daughter brought us a chick home several days ago. Never even heard of this bird. I fell in love immediately although the chick feels differently about me. She (if in fact it is a she) prefers my youngest daughter and 5 yr old son over me. The bird talks non stop and screams until one of them pick her up. Hubby thought that maybe it was lonely and needed a buddy so he went back to the co-op (where it was purchased) and got another one. Didn't help. Although B' Elanna seems happy to have a friend, she still talks non stop and has a need to be held. Is this normal for this type of bird or do we have a spoiled rotten bird? We have 2 two yr old Pekin ducks and was wondering if they could be housed together with them. The ducks have the entire back yard to themselves right now and come and go as they please. Do you think they would get along or do I need to separate?

Back
Top Bottom